Police investigating alleged hazing at Fordson High School

Times-Herald Newspapers

DEARBORN — Police are investigating a possible hazing incident with two football players a few days ago at Fordson High School.

The students involved have not been named because they are minors, but one of the football players was suspended and removed from the team.

“I want to reassure this community that we are taking appropriate actions to address the situation that occurred earlier this week at Fordson high school,” Dearborn Public Schools Supt. Glenn Maleyko wrote on his blog. “Confidentiality and student privacy law prohibits my ability to provide details. However, I can confirm it was not an incident of rape. These were students involved in behaviors that we will not tolerate in this district.”

The news has spread on social media which Maleyko also addressed.

“Social media has created rumors and stories that are inaccurate,” he said. “In order to ensure the rights of all I would like to remind everyone that we are dealing with minors and we hope that people would be sensitive to this when making posts on social media.”

Fordson Principal Heyam Alcodray sent parents a letter and posted it on the school’s website confirming the alleged hazing incident.

“Earlier this week, the administration at Fordson was made aware of a hazing incident that occurred on school property,” Alcodray said. “This type of behavior is unacceptable, in violation of policy, and will not be allowed at Fordson High School. Hazing is a form of bullying and can be considered harassment.”

Alcodray also said consequences for individuals involved in the incident may be severe and have legal implications, but disciplinary measures have been taken.

“On behalf of all students and staff members at Fordson I extend our most sincere apologies to the victim of this rogue hazing incident,” she said. “I encourage all parents to please take a moment to talk with your children about the importance of treating everyone with the respect and compassion we all deserve.”

Mayleko informed parents and students that the district has been in communication with the Police Department to assist in the investigation.

“All responsible are being dealt with appropriately and we have been in contact with the Dearborn police to determine if any further legal action will be taken,” he said.

More details will be released as the investigation is completed.

(Zeinab Najm can be reached at zeinabnajm92@gmail.com.)