Man arrested after high-speed chase

Sunday Times Newspapers

WYANDOTTE – A 48-year-old Lincoln Park man was arrested at 6:35 p.m. Sept. 1 following a high-speed chase through residential areas in three cities that ended when police deliberately struck his vehicle.

When an officer initiated a traffic stop for an expired license plate on Emmons near 6th Street, the driver waited until the officer left his vehicle, then waved and took off westbound on Emmons at a high rate of speed.

The fleeing driver reached speeds of 75 mph in a 25 mph zone, ignoring stop signs, entering Lincoln Park, and running a red light at Emmons and Fort that nearly resulted in a crash.

The man continued west on Emmons, then turned south on Howard, west on Goddard, then south on High Street, entering Southgate.

The fleeing driver swerved while on High Street, attempting to hit the pursuing officer’s car, striking the passenger side front bumper on the patrol car with his vehicle’s rear bumper.

While on High Street the driver also threw a packet, suspected to be illegal drugs, out of the driver’s side window. A later search failed to recover any items.

The man then turned west on Brest, then south on Dix, once again narrowly avoiding a crash. He then increased his speed to 80 mph before turning west on Ward, then immediately south on Longtin, again swerving to try to hit the pursuing patrol car.

The man then turned west onto Northline, where construction had caused a traffic backup in both directions. Since the man had shown disregard for other drivers throughout the three-city chase, the pursuing officer decided to hit and disable the man’s vehicle before he crashed into any drivers in the traffic backup.

When the fleeing vehicle was forced to stop, the Wyandotte officer, joined by Southgate police, ordered the man out of the vehicle, which he ignored. He was then forcibly removed from the vehicle, grabbed by the arms, forced to the ground and handcuffed.

The man was then taken into custody, booked and held, and his vehicle was towed.

Throughout the chase the man ran all stop signs and red lights he encountered, and drove three times the speed limit in residential areas near schools and parks.

He was charged with fleeing and eluding, resisting and obstructing police, and driving with a suspended license, an expired plate and no proof of insurance.

(Sue Suchyta can be reached at