DEARBORN — Henry Ford College’s Fifty-One O One student-run restaurant reopens for the winter 2017 semester at 11:30 a.m. Feb. 1. The restaurant is in the Culinary and Students Arts Center on the main campus, 5101 Evergreen.
In addition to the everyday menu featuring homemade pastas, hand-cut steaks and chicken, the college’s chefs and students will prepare and present cuisines from different regions here and abroad.
The theme for opening week is Southern Italian. Featured entrees include:
• Saltimbocca di Pollo: Boneless breast of chicken stuffed with prosciutto, marinated Portobello mushrooms and Fontina, served with brown butter toasted gnocchi, glazed haricot vert and a white wine velouté sauce.
• Lasagna al Forno: Handmade sheets of pasta layered with ricotta and mozzarella cheeses, beef sausage and tomato sauce, then baked.
• Gnocchi al Pesto: Handmade potato dumplings tossed with basil pesto and oven-roasted tomatoes.
• Cioppino: Sautéed Pacific cod, cherrystone clams, and roasted peppers in a white wine tomato broth served over fettuccini and finished with fresh herbs.
The schedule for the rest of the semester is:
• Week of Feb. 6: Premium Steak House.
• Week of Feb. 13: Cuisine of the Deep South.
• Week of Feb. 20: Country French.
• Week of Feb. 27: Polish/Central Europe.
• Week of March 6: College close for spring break.
• Week of March 13: Imperial Gastropub.
• Week of March 20: Flavors of Key Wes.
• Week of March 27: Northern Italian.
• Week of April 3: Contemporary French.
• Week of April 10: Greek Café.
• Week of April 17: Cuisine of the Pacific Northwest.
Special events are:
• Feb. 15: Seafood Buffet ($15.95 per person).
• March 15: St Patrick’s Day Buffet ($14 per person).
• April 20: Courses XII Scholarship Dinner ($45 per person — go to www.henryfordculinary.com for further information).
“Affordable pricing for gourmet cuisine creates an opportunity for the community to participate in culinary education at HFC,” said Eric Gackenbach, academic coordinator of HFC’s Culinary Arts & Hotel/Restaurant Management. “Guests are ‘in the lab’ with the students as they practice the art, craft and business of hospitality.”
The restaurant is open every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday during the winter 2017 semester from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. for lunch. Dinner hours are 6 to 7:45 p.m. on Wednesday and Thursday. The final day for the winter 2017 semester is April 20.
Reservations are not necessary but recommended. To make reservations or for further information, call 313-206-5101 or go to www.henryfordculinary.com.