By ANGELA NIMS
Special to the Sunday Times
RIVERVIEW — If Burger King had it their way, their location on Fort Street in Riverview wouldn’t have caught fire Thursday afternoon.
Police received a report about 2:10 p.m. Jan. 19 of smoke billowing from the roof of Burger King, 19010 Fort St. Deena Dow of Southgate was preparing to order at the drive-through when she spotted the smoke. The woman on the speaker took a moment to apologize to customers.
“She said she was sorry, but wouldn’t be able to help me right now,” Dow said.
Police Chief Clifford Rosebohm said a grease fire is suspected.
“The situation was under control rapidly,” he said. “Everyone was evacuated. It’s hard to tell the full extent of the damage right now, but more of the damage was towards the roof.”
From Dow’s vantage point, police were on the scene within three minutes and the fire trucks less than 10.
“I just love our city workers,” she said. “True heroes. I’m just glad everyone was OK.”
But she said some of the evacuees could have demonstrated more haste.
“There was one woman who just walked out with an ice cream” Dow said. “She was walking slowly. At first, I thought it wasn’t that bad.”
As Dow and her son watched from a safe distance, the smoke grew, then turned to flame.
A fire inspector was examining the scene later that evening. Building inspectors are scheduled to follow and the business will remain closed until needed repairs are completed and inspectors have approved the building’s condition.
(Contact Angela Nims at email@example.com.)