Firefighters save Princess Street house from destruction

Photo courtesy of Taylor Fire Department. Taylor firefighters prevented flames from destroying a house in the 9500 block of Princess Street Monday evening. No one was injured. The blaze started in the garage and spread to the outside of the nearby house, fire officials said.

Photo courtesy of Taylor Fire Department.
Taylor firefighters prevented flames from destroying a house in the 9500 block of Princess Street Monday evening. No one was injured. The blaze started in the garage and spread to the outside of the nearby house, fire officials said.

By TEREASA NIMS
Sunday Times Newspapers

TAYLOR – It took about 13 minutes and an estimated 3,000 gallons of water for firefighters to extinguish a blaze in the 9500 block of Princess Jan. 9.

Battalion Chief Tim Grapentien said a neighbor saw flames and began banging on his neighbor’s door about 6:15 p.m., letting him know that the garage and part of his house was on fire. The homeowner and his two children immediately fled the house and called 911.

When firefighters arrived, Grapentien said the garage was fully engulfed and the fire had spread to the siding of the house.

Firefighters immediately extinguished the blaze on the vinyl siding then moved to knocking down the garage fire. They had to shuttle in water from other hydrants because the nearby hydrant wasn’t functioning.

No one was injured, and authorities said the family and their pets made it out safely. The garage was destroyed, Grapentien said.

“It was accidental,” Grapentien said of the start of the fire. There was no apparent reason as to why.”

A neighbor reported hearing an explosion. Grapentien said there was no indication of an explosion. He said in garage fires, tires, gas tanks and other flammables can impersonate sounds of large explosions.

Grapentien said there was an estimated $20,000 in damages. It’s unknown if the property was insured.

The family was not displaced by the blaze. Grapentien said the crew did a “great job” of responding and quickly knocking down the flames.

(Tereasa Nims can be reached at dstreporter@gmail.com.)