ALLEN PARK — With holiday shopping in full swing, some people struggle with knowing what to buy for parents, grandparents and other loved ones with dementia.
Marcia Filek, geriatric care manager for Senior Care Solutions in Allen Park, offers some helpful tips.
“Holiday celebrations are part of important family traditions,” Filek said. “Being sure to include seniors and their caregivers in your gift giving can make the holidays even more meaningful for everyone.”
Recommended gifts for seniors with dementia include:
• Music they enjoy and grew up with.
• Videos of old movies or TV shows.
• Clothing that is easy to put on.
• Favorite foods; being mindful of any dietary restrictions.
• Stuffed animals or dolls for women.
• Bird feeders.
Items for caregivers include:
• Gift certificates of time to come and give them a break
• Gift certificates to restaurants
• Housekeeping, lawn, and snow removal services
• Bulletin board to post things they need assistance with. Family and friends can review it when they come in and take it off the to-do list.
For people seeking to give a gift of care that is available to use any time during the year, Senior Care Solutions offers all levels of personal care at home including skilled nursing services, home health aides, and home companions.
“We are able to provide at home care for up to 24 hours a day for short- and long-term periods,” said Filek. “While caregivers are traveling or away for the holidays, we can also provide recommendations for temporary respite care for their loved ones, available in conveniently located senior living communities. Whatever the need, we can help make the holidays enjoyable for everyone—caregivers and loved ones.”