Family of man shot, killed by Dearborn cop files $10 million lawsuit

By ZEINAB NAJM
Times-Herald Newspapers

DEARBORN — The family of a man shot and killed by a Dearborn police officer last December has filed a $10 million wrongful death lawsuit against the city of Dearborn and the officer.

Attorneys for the family of Kevin Matthews announced the lawsuit Oct. 24, 10 months after the shooting.

The lawsuit questions the autopsy completed by the Wayne County Medical Examiner’s Office because Matthews is listed as 5 feet 5 inches tall and 188 pounds, but the family said he is about 5 feet 9 inches and weighs 40 pounds less.

That same autopsy determined that Matthews was shot nine times by police, which was several times more times than police reported, the family’s attorney, Milt Greenman, said.

The lawsuit also claims that police had interacted with Matthews prior to the incident and knew he had a mental disorder.

Matthews, 35, was shot multiple times by the police officer in Detroit after a foot chase, that began in Dearborn, and struggle on Dec. 23.

Dearborn police said Matthews attempted to reach for the officer’s gun during the struggle before he was shot.

Matthews was wanted on a Redford Township probation violation warrant and had escaped from officers earlier that same day after committing a larceny in Dearborn.

Matthews was pronounced dead at the scene and an autopsy conducted by the Medical Examiner’s Office ruled Matthews’ death a homicide.

The police officer who shot Matthews still has not been identified and no criminal charges have been filed.

The Dearborn Police Department did not comment by press time.

(Zeinab Najm can be reached at zeinabnajm92@gmail.com.)