FHA grant to help pay for repairs of Enterprise Drive off ramp

By SUE SUCHYTA
Sunday Times Newspapers

ALLEN PARK – Federal Highway Administration grant money will help repair an Enterprise Road off ramp from I-94 to Oakwood Boulevard, city official Bruce Hammonds announced at the July 12 City Council meeting.

Hammonds said in February the city applied for FHA grants to repair Moore Avenue and the Enterprise Drive off ramp.

He said the Federal Aid Committee for Wayne County met July 8 and approved the application for Enterprise Drive.

The FHA grant would pay for $746,472 of the $912,000 estimated project cost, which is 82 percent. The city would pay the remaining 18 percent, or about $162,528.

Hammond said the work could begin as early as October 2017, contingent upon final approval by the state.

Hammond said 43 communities in Wayne County, excluding Detroit, may apply for the $16 million in FHA grant funding, and Allen Park received nearly $1 million of the money available.

“There are only a few cities in the county that are getting them,” Hammond said. “If you have ever driven down it, especially when you get to the end of it, it is very rough, very bumpy, and you wonder if you are going to stop before you get to Oakwood,” Hammond said. “So that will be one safety thing that will be taken (care of) with that.”

Hammond said the city was not given a reason why grant money was not given to repair Moore Street, but since the total project cost was about $4 million, that would require a quarter of the grant fund, and the committee likes to spread the money around to as many communities as possible.

“I think that we could try again next year, but only do a smaller section, maybe around $1 million,” Hammond said. “I think we would have a better chance at it.”

City Manager Mark Kibby said the traffic count is also comparatively lower for Moore Street than other roads seeking grant funding.

Mayor William Matakas mentioned applying for a grant for Moore Street with Lincoln Park on its east end, near the railroad tracks, near I-75.

“The first 100 yards is (Lincoln Park’s), and I think it is the worst,” Matakas said. “It is at the bottom of that hill from the railroad tracks and all the trucks and everything just beat the heck out of it. And they do go through there to get to I-75.”

Hammond said the committee encourages cities to apply for road grants together.

He also reported that the Federal Aid Committee for Wayne County announced that Pelham Road from Wick to Ecorse, which is a border road between Allen Park and Taylor, will be resurfaced next year, which is a $1.4 million rehabilitation and resurfacing project.

(Sue Suchyta can be reached at sue.suchyta@yahoo.com.)

Tags: