By JAMES MITCHELL
Sunday Times Newspapers
LINCOLN PARK – Two cousins who share the same name were granted a lowered bond last week while still awaiting a September trial that could result in a life sentence if convicted of the kidnapping and sexual assault of a 23-year-old Detroit woman.
Fernando DeLon Anderson, 24 of Detroit, and Fernando DeLon Anderson IV, 19, of Lincoln Park, were granted a lowered bond during a July 8 motion hearing before Wayne County Circuit Court Judge Dana Hathaway. Each had been ordered held on $500,000 bond since being placed in custody following the March 30 alleged abduction and assault, an amount reduced to $100,000 cash or bond.
Police and prosecutors said the Andersons met the woman in a Fort Street parking lot, abducted her at gunpoint, and drove to Detroit. The woman reported that she was sexually assaulted by both cousins, who also stole her cell phone and money before leaving her in Lincoln Park.
The Andersons stand charged with six felony counts each including kidnapping, armed robbery and first-degree criminal sexual conduct. Kidnapping carries a maximum penalty of life in prison.
During preliminary hearings, the Andersons claimed they first contacted the woman online before meeting in the city. The men said the woman was a prostitute and that her claims were made after they had a dispute over money.
A final conference is scheduled for next week before a trial before Hathaway begins on Sept. 19. The cousins remained in custody.
(James Mitchell can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.)