By JAMES MITCHELL
Sunday Times Newspapers
LINCOLN PARK – City officials confirmed last week the Dangerous Building Board recommendation that several garages will be torn down in the interest of public safety.
City Manager Matt Coppler said the panel’s recent meeting was the first held since 2014, and that resident complaints had stacked up since.
“It’s been a while since we had one,” Coppler said. “We need to take care of these things. People look out their door and see the blight that’s not taken care of, and feel that the city isn’t doing anything.”
Five of the seven buildings – mostly garages along with a business and house – had been confirmed for demolition. During a special meeting of the city council held July 5, Coppler said final decisions on one of the garages and a Fort Street building were postponed, but that demolition was soon expected for a house in the 1900 block of Paris, and garages in the 1300 block of Merrill, the 700 block of Ford, the 1600 block of Richmond, and the 1500 block of Wilson.
The targeted buildings had fallen into disrepair in recent years, Coppler said. Some had suffered fire damage that was never addressed, others had gone unattended after vacancies. The first demolition orders in two years will likely be joined as the dangerous buildings panel is expected to meet again later this month.
“These things are small but important,” Coppler said. “They demonstrate our commitment to the neighborhoods that we want to build back up.”
(James Mitchell can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.)