By JAMES MITCHELL
Sunday Times Newspapers
TAYLOR – While preliminary examinations were again continued to next month for a trio of alleged robbers charged with the armed heist of a charity poker game, bond eligibility for two Dearborn Heights brothers were reduced last week.
According to 23rd District Court officials, Judge Joseph Slaven adjusted a $200,000 cash or surety bond that had been issued to Nickolas Jonathan Frederick, 30, and his Daniel William Frederick, 29, to 10 percent of $200,000.
The two remained in custody following a preliminary examination of the evidence against them held June 20. The Fredericks face dozens of counts of armed robbery and felonious assault for the April 1 robbery at Momo’s Charity Poker Room on Telegraph Road.
Last week’s exam was the third review of evidence and testimony held since the two were charged not long after the robbery. Police and prosecutors said the Frederick brothers had been gambling early in the evening before returning shortly after midnight wearing masks and brandishing weapons as they took money from players and the charity.
A third defendant, Michael Eugene Pennington, 26, of Flat Rock, was charged for alleged involvement “after the fact,” Police Chief Mary Sclabassi said. Pennington likewise faces multiple charges of armed robbery and felonious assault. Pennington had been released on bond, the conditions of which were adjusted last week by Slaven as Pennington remains on a GPS tether.
Preliminary examinations of evidence are scheduled to continue July 18.
(James Mitchell can be reached at email@example.com.)