Exam set for cousins charged in sex assault

By JAMES MITCHELL
Sunday Times Newspapers

LINCOLN PARK – After separate hearings held last week two cousins charged with the kidnapping and sexual assault of a 23-year-old Detroit woman will face a preliminary examination next month.

Fernando DeLon Anderson, 24 of Detroit and Fernando DeLon Anderson IV, 19 of Lincoln Park remained in custody on $500,000 cash bond each after a probable cause hearing April 19 before 25th District Court Judge Greg Clifton.

The two could face life in prison if convicted of charges stemming from a March 30 report of a woman’s abduction from a drug store parking lot. The woman told police the men took her at gunpoint on a drive through Lincoln Park and into Detroit, during which she was sexually assaulted.

The Anderson cousins denied the charges and said the woman was a prostitute who filed a police report following a dispute over money.

Both men were charged with three counts of first-degree criminal sexual conduct, robbery, kidnapping – punishable by up to life in prison – and felony firearm possession. A preliminary examination of the evidence against them is scheduled for May 3 in 25th District Court.

(James Mitchell can be reached at james.a.mitchell37@gmail.com.)