Cousins charged for alleged abduction, sexual assault

By JAMES MITCHELL

Sunday Times Newspapers

LINCOLN PARK – Two men could face up to life in prison if convicted in the alleged kidnapping and sexual assault of a 23-year-old Detroit woman.

Fernando DeLon Anderson, 24, of Detroit and his 19-year-old Lincoln Park cousin, also named Fernando Delon Anderson IV, were scheduled to be arraigned Friday in 25th District Court on charges stemming from an alleged kidnapping and assault March 30. (Results unavailable at press time.)

Both were charged with three counts of first-degree criminal sexual conduct, robbery, kidnapping – punishable by up to life in prison – and felony firearm possession.

According to Police, the Andersons approached a woman in a convenience store parking lot on Southfield Road about 9 p.m. The woman told police the two abducted her at gunpoint and took turns raping her in the back seat.

“She was directed to drive to a dead-end street in Detroit,” Assistant Wayne County Prosecutor Maria Miller said. “It is alleged that she was sexually assaulted by both defendants. After the assault the defendants made her drive back to Lincoln Park, took her cell phone and left the area.”

The older cousin turned himself in to police April 5 after media reports were broadcast that included images taken by a convenience store security camera when the men stopped to by cigarettes.

The woman told police that she overheard the cousins saying that the 19-year-old man had to be home by 10 p.m. as he was wearing a court-ordered tether.

The younger Anderson surrendered to police Wednesday, and denied that he was required to wear an electronic tether. The Michigan offender database does not list him as either being on probation or having been convicted of any crimes as an adult.

Relatives told police and local media Wednesday that – in spite of the woman’s initial statements that she did not know the suspects – the woman had worked as a prostitute and had exchanged text messages with Anderson prior to the alleged assault.

The teen reportedly confirmed that sexual activity had taken place that evening with the woman, but that it had been consensual. The police report had been filed, he claimed, following a dispute over money.

(James Mitchell can be reached at james.a.mitchell37@gmail.com.)