Second suspect denies alleged abduction, sexual assault

Photo courtesy of the Lincoln Park Police Department Fernando Anderson IV turned himself in to police last night.

Photo courtesy of the Lincoln Park Police Department
Fernando Anderson IV turned himself in to police last night.

Teen surrenders, says sex was consensual

By JAMES MITCHELL
Sunday Times Newspapers

LINCOLN PARK – Police and prosecutors are working to sort out the facts in a reported kidnapping and sexual assault after the second of two suspects turned himself in Wednesday.

According to police, 19-year-old Fernando Anderson IV surrendered late Wednesday in the company of an attorney after having been named a person of interest in the reported March 30 abduction and sexual assault of a 25-year-old woman.

The surrender came a day after Anderson’s alleged accomplice – his 22-year-old cousin – turned himself in Tuesday following widespread media reports of the search for the two men.

Police had been looking for the two men in connection with reports of a woman who said she was confronted at Walgreens, 1765 Fort St. The woman told police that about 9 p.m. two men pointed a gun at her and drove off, and then spent nearly an hour raping her in the back seat while cruising local neighborhoods.

The woman told police that the assault ended after she’d heard the men saying that Anderson had been required to be home by 10 p.m. due to a court-ordered tether he was wearing.

Anderson denied on Wednesday that he was required to wear an electronic tether. The Michigan offender database does not list Anderson as either being on probation or having been convicted of any crimes as an adult.

Anderson’s relatives told police and local media Wednesday that – in spite of the woman’s initial statements that she did not know the suspects – the woman had worked as a prostitute and had exchanged text messages with Anderson prior to the alleged assault.

Anderson reportedly confirmed that sexual activity had taken place that evening with the woman, but that it had been consensual. The police report had been filed, he claimed, following a dispute over money.

A police spokesperson said today that investigators continued looking into the allegations before any warrants would be requested from the Wayne County Prosecutor’s office.

(James Mitchell can be reached at james.a.mitchell37@gmail.com.)