By JAMES MITCHELL
Sunday Times Newspapers
LINCOLN PARK – A 19-year-old Lincoln Park man who expected to face a jury last week instead was released after four felony counts were dismissed.
Tobias James Catron faced charges including assault with intent to murder for the July 22 incident in which he allegedly shot a 44-year-old Lincoln Park man in the neck.
Assistant Wayne County Prosecutor Maria Miller said the felony counts were dismissed Nov. 19 by Wayne County Circuit Court Judge Kevin Cox.
“The complainant failed to appear,” Miller said.
The felonies were dismissed without prejudice, and Miller said they could be re-issued at a later date.
According to police reports, Catron allegedly confronted the man – the father of an acquaintance of Catron’s – and they had a heated exchange over cell phone bills outside of the man’s home in the 1400 block of Mayflower Avenue.
Catron turned himself in to police the day after the shooting, and investigators said he cooperated and showed police the weapon that he claimed to have used in self-defense.
He had been in custody since after being arraigned on felonies that also included assault with intent to do great bodily harm less than murder, assault with a dangerous weapon and felony firearms.
(James Mitchell can be reached at email@example.com.)