Dearborn residents killed in Beirut attacks

Times-Herald Newspapers

DEARBORN — Three Dearborn residents lost their lives during double terrorist bombings in Beirut Nov. 12.

Leila Taleb and her husband, Hussien Mostapha, along with Leila Mazloum were among the 44 killed in the attacks.

Taleb and Mostapha’s 3-year-old son, Hussein Mostapha was also injured and is safe with family members.

Mazloum — a mother of four — recently had become a permanent resident of the United States, making Dearborn her home. She had traveled to Lebanon 10 days prior or the bombings to attempt to bring the rest of her family to the United States, too.

A commemorative service was arranged at the Islamic Center of America in Dearborn Nov. 13 for friends and families of the victims.

“It has been difficult to view the footage of the heinous attack,” American Human Rights Council Executive Director Imad Hamad said. “It is truly shocking to see what certain individuals and groups are capable of. Our position is that we condemn all terror attacks regardless of the identity of the attacker and the identity of the attacked. Even the loss of one innocent life is a loss too many.”

All three victims were in the busy, Beirut suburb, Burj al-Barajneh when the bombings occurred.
The first suicide attacker detonated an explosive vest outside a Shiite mosque after a nearby man grabbed the bomber, stopping him from going inside the mosque.

The man, identified as Adel Termos, was at the market in Bourj al-Barajneh with his 6-year-old daughter, Malak, who survived the bombing.

The second suicide attacker detonated his bomb inside a bakery near the mosque.

The third suicide attacker was found dead, not from his explosive vest but possibly by the second bomber’s detonation.

Another 250 have been reported as injured from the explosions.

The Islamic State claimed responsibility for the attacks in Beirut thorough websites and social media pages.

Since then, 11 suspects have been arrested in connection to the bombings, Lebanese Interior Minister Nuhad Mashnuq announced during a press conference Nov. 15.

“The detained include seven Syrians and two Lebanese, one of them a (would-be) suicide bomber and the other a trafficker who smuggled them across the border from Syria,” Mashnuq said. “The whole suicide bombing network and its supporters were arrested in the 48 hours following the explosion.”

The internal security services also announced the arrest of two other suspects from Lebanon and Syria.

(Zeinab Najm can be reached at