By JAMES MITCHELL
Sunday Times Newspapers
TRENTON – Barring any further delays, a jury trial is set to begin this month in the March strangulation homicide of a 50-year-old Trenton man.
Aaron Sydney Marshall, 35, has been charged with felony murder and first-degree premeditated murder in the death of George Hite. Police and prosecutors said the Detroit resident, on March 11, strangled Hite in his Westwood home.
The 65-year-old Hite, a longtime little league umpire, lived in the home for about a year with his elderly mother.
The trial was set to begin last month, but Wayne County Circuit Court Judge Craig Strong granted a defense request to reschedule. Jury selection is slated to begin Nov. 16.
According to police reports, Marshall was first taken into custody following the discovery of Hite’s body, and was charged with obstruction and lying to the police. Marshall had told investigators that he hadn’t been in Trenton, although cell phone records indicated otherwise. After continued investigation Marshall – an acquaintance of Hite’s who had several times visited a Detroit casino with him – was arraigned in June and has been in custody since.
Both felony charges carry a potential sentence of life in prison without possibility of parole.
(James Mitchell can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.)