Shooting suspect pleads to assault charges

Sunday Times Newspapers

LINCOLN PARK – A 19-year-old Lincoln Park man who police and prosecutors said shot a man in the neck pleaded guilty to two felony charges Thursday, foregoing a jury trial that had been scheduled to start last week.

Tobias James Catron pleaded guilty before Wayne County Circuit Court Judge Michael J. Callahan to assault with intent to murder and assault with intent to do great bodily harm. Charges of assault with a dangerous weapon and felony firearms possession were dismissed.

Police and prosecutors said Catron shot a 44-year-old Lincoln Park man – the father of an acquaintance of Catron’s – July 22 outside a house in the 1400 block of Mayflower Avenue. Catron admitted to the shooting, but claimed it was in self-defense.

The two had had confrontations earlier that day and had exchanged angry texts. Catron had reportedly been friends with the victim’s daughter.

The shooting sparked a citywide manhunt as Catron fled the area after the shooting. He immediately had been named a person of interest, and he turned himself in to police the following day.

A police department spokeswoman said Catron admitted to the shooting, cooperated with investigators and made available the weapon used.

Catron is scheduled to be sentenced Nov. 12. Assault with intent to murder is punishable by up to life in prison.

(James Mitchell can be reached at