By JAMES MITCHELL
Sunday Times Newspapers
TAYLOR – After holding second interviews with two prospective superintendents, the Taylor School District Board of Education voted against making an offer to either candidate and will seek additional candidates for the top administrative position.
Board President John Reilly said the 4-1 vote on July 27 to continue the search reflected a consensus that panelists had hoped for a more experienced candidate. Bobby Masters cast the dissenting vote, and Douglas Meyers and Debbie Stellini were absent.
“One of the candidates had never been a superintendent,” Reilly said. “The other hadn’t been in a district our size.”
The board held public interviews last month with finalists Scott Dunsmore, who had served as superintendent of Houghton Lake Schools among several other positions, and Alex McNeece, director of Instructional Services at Garden City Public Schools.
Previously, the board had also interviewed Hoover Middle School Principal Michelle Tocco before calling back Dunsmore and McNeece.
Reilly said the plan remains for current Supt. Diane Allen to continue in the position. Had a finalist been chosen, Reilly said, Allen would have remained in place to start the school year in September and provide a transition period.
Earlier this year Allen had announced her intention to retire at the end of the 2014-15 academic year. She later agreed to remain on the job for up to one year to help transition her successor into the office.
The board did not determine a timetable for subsequent candidate interviews, or a target date to identify the district’s next superintendent.
“The plan was for Superintendent Allen to start the school year anyway,” Reilly said.
(James Mitchell can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.)