Avoid burns at the barbeque
With America’s favorite grilling holiday the Fourth of July, and with three out of five grillers owning a gas grill, think fire safety first to enjoy the great tastes of summer.
“Keep it safe at the cookout,” State Fire Marshal Richard Miller said. “Before firing up the grill, use common sense and follow a few simple safety precautions to avoid serious burns and fires.”
According to the U.S. Fire Administration, about 5,700 grill fires occur on residential property each year, causing an annual average of $37 million in damage, with thousands of people visiting emergency rooms for grill-related injuries.
“The majority of grill fires are caused by malfunctioning gas grills,” Miller said. “In fact six out of seven grill fires involve a gas grill caused most often by a leak or break in hoses or other equipment. So, maintenance is particularly important with gas grills to protect yourself and your family.”
Miller said that popular gas grills are generally safe and convenient but bring into play liquid propane gas that’s pressurized and requires special handling and storage. Charcoal grills are still preferred by some people and can also be potentially dangerous when not used properly.
Before lighting up the grill, remember:
· Always grill outdoors. Never grill indoors or in the garage. Grills are not only a fire hazard they release carbon monoxide, a deadly, odorless, colorless gas.
· Grill on a level surface at least 10 feet away from the house, garage, deck, overhanging eaves, branches, hanging baskets and backyard furniture. Never use a grill on a balcony.
· Keep children and pets well away from the grill area.
· Keep a fire extinguisher close by and know how to use it; keep a spray bottle or bucket of water handy for minor flare ups.
· Never leave the grill unattended.
· Don’t overload the grill with food. Excessive fat and grease dripping on flames can ignite large flare ups.
· Clean the grill often, removing grease and fat buildup from the grates and in the trays below.
· Never try and fight a fire. Call 911 and let the fire fighters do their job.
Gas grill safety
· Check gas tank hoses for leaks before first use each year. Applying a light soap and water solution will reveal any leaking propane. Never use a match to check for leaks. If a leak is detected, turn off the gas immediately and don’t use the grill until it’s been serviced by a professional.
· Before filling an LP cylinder, check it for dents or gouges. Don’t overfill the cylinder.
· Never turn on the gas when the lid is closed. The propane may build up inside and when ignited, the lid could blow off or a fireball can explode.
· If the odor of gas is detected while cooking, immediately get away from the grill and call 911. Do not move the grill.
· Never store propane gas cylinders in buildings or garages. If a gas grill is stored inside during the winter, disconnect the cylinder and leave it outside.
· When finished with the grill, turn off the barbecue burners and the propane cylinder.
Charcoal grill safety
· Use only charcoal starter fluid (never gasoline or kerosene) to light the grill.
· If using an electric charcoal starter (which does not use fire) use an extension cord for outdoor use.
· Always use charcoal grills in a self-ventilated area. Charcoal briquettes give off deadly carbon monoxide gas.
· Let the coals cool completely before disposing in a metal container or soak partially cooled ashes completely in water before disposal.
To find out more information go to the Bureau of Fire Services website at www.michigan.gov/bfs or contact the Bureau of Fire Safety at 517-241-8847.
For more information about LARA, go to www.michigan.gov/lara. Follow the LARA on (Twitter www.twitter.com/michiganLARA) or Facebook or find the LARA YouTube (www.youtube.com/michiganLARA).