By JAMES MITCHELL
Sunday Times Newspapers
TRENTON – A 35-year-old Detroit man who police and prosecutors said had lied to investigators regarding a homicide in the city has been released on bond, and awaits a hearing this week.
Trenton Director of Police and Fire James Nardone said Aaron Sydney Marshall remains a person of interest in the murder of 64-year-old George Hite in March.
According to court records, Marshall was arraigned last month before 33rd District Court Judge Michael McNally, who had imposed a $30,000 cash surety bond. Marshall is scheduled for a preliminary examination Friday, after which it’s expected he will be bound over to Wayne County Circuit Court on felony charges stemming from the murder investigation.
Nardone said Marshall remains a person of interest in the homicide. Hite was discovered on March 11 in his Westwood home where he’d been strangled to death. Hite had lived in the city for about a year with his elderly mother, who was in the house at the time.
Marshall had known Hite, Nardone said, and had told police he’d never been in the city. Police and prosecutors said cell phone records proved otherwise, and Marshall was charged with lying to a peace officer, a felony.
Investigators are waiting for further testing and physical evidence, and Nardone said that others may have been involved and may also face charges.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Trenton police at 734-676-3737.
(James Mitchell can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.)