Exams ordered for barricaded gunman

By JAMES MITCHELL

Sunday Times Newspapers

TAYLOR — A man who had barricaded himself for a lengthy, armed standoff with police will undergo competency and psychiatric evaluations before court proceedings on more than 30 charges continue.

Brett Lambert, 22, was arraigned Monday before Wayne County Circuit Court Judge Catherine Heise on charges stemming from a nearly 14-hour standoff in early November.

Late night reports of shots fired from Lambert’s house in the 25000 block of Wick Road soon had the street blocked off by police and Downriver SWAT responders.

Police Chief Mary Sclabassi said gunfire was heard from the house periodically for more than half a day, including shots taken at police officers and vehicles.

Lambert surrendered to police that afternoon, and was initially charged in 23rd District Court last month. Assistant Wayne County Prosecutor Maria Miller said a status hearing on the evaluations is scheduled for February.

“It’s important to determine if he understands the nature of the charges and the proceedings,” Miller said, “and that he is able to assist in his defense.”

Heise also granted an order for criminal responsibility filed by defense counsel Robert Plumpe, a similar evaluation of the defendant’s ability to understand the alleged criminal activity.

Plumpe did not respond to requests for comment.

Lambert has been charged with 34 crimes including a dozen counts of assault with intent to commit murder — which carries a potential life sentence — and multiple counts of felonious assault and weapons charges.

A competency hearing is scheduled for Feb. 20. Lambert remained in custody on $750,000 bond.

(James Mitchell can be reached at jmitchell@bewickpublications.com.)