Taylor man charged following standoff with police

Sunday Times Newspapers

TAYLOR — Less than a week after a lengthy standoff with police, a 22-year-old man was charged Monday with multiple felonies including a dozen counts of assault with intent to commit murder.

Brett Lambert was arraigned before 23rd District Court Judge William Sutherland. A preliminary examination of the evidence against him is scheduled for Monday.

According to Assistant Wayne County Prosecutor Maria Miller, more than 30 charges against Lambert were filed in the wake of a standoff with police which began about 11 p.m. Nov. 5 and lasted nearly 14 hours before Lambert surrendered.

Lambert faces 12 counts each of assault with intent to commit murder and felonious assault, along with charges of manufacturing or possessing an incendiary device, felony firearms and charges of having fired at police vehicles and destruction of fire or police property.

Police Chief Mary Sclabassi said police responded when shots were reported from a home in the 25000 block of Wick Road. Police learned that Lambert was alone in the house, and had been battling depression since the death of his father earlier this year.

Neighbors and relatives described the initial response as a period during which gunfire was repeatedly heard in and near the home, yet police were unable to quickly resolve the matter without endangering lives. By early afternoon SWAT armored carriers approached the house, which Lambert allegedly fired at several times.

“Last week’s standoff requires patience,” Sclabassi said. “Officers are highly trained for these situations. We’re grateful the situation was resolved without injury to civilians or police personnel.”

The standoff involved nearly 100 officers and responders, who blocked off the neighborhood and closed two nearby schools while negotiators persisted in efforts to resolve the situation. An earth-moving excavator was brought to the scene to be used as a battering ram when police threatened to tear down the house, and Lambert surrendered soon after the vehicle could be seen near his property.

Lambert remained in custody on $750,000 cash bond.

(James Mitchell can be reached at jmitchell@bewickpublications.com.)