Suspects await charges in home invasion

By JAMES MITCHELL
Sunday Times Newspapers

SOUTHGATE — Charges are expected soon on at least one of two men suspected of a home invasion that left a 92-year-old woman tied up while her vehicle was stolen.

Investigators believe that at least one of two Detroit men who were taken into custody earlier this month in Livingston County will be charged with last month’s home invasion and vehicle theft, Public Safety Director Thomas Coombs said.

“Physical evidence collected at the scene links one of the two people in the car to the home invasion,” Coombs said.

Police had been looking for two men who had broken into the woman’s home in the 13000 block of Sycamore last month. According to police reports, the men kicked in a side door of the woman’s home, and one of the men kept her on the ground floor while the other went upstairs and stole a television, jewelry and other valuables.

The men bound the woman’s hands before leaving, took her keys and drove away in her 2001 Ford Taurus.

A statewide alert was issued on the Taurus, and on June 3, the vehicle was seen on I-96 near Williamston in Ingham County.

Coombs said Ingham County Sheriff’s deputies attempted to pull the Taurus over after a check with the Law Enforcement Information Network revealed that the license plate did not match the registration on the Taurus.

The Taurus instead drove away from pursuing deputies at speeds of up to 120 mph. The chase continued before the vehicle was stopped near Brighton after Livingston County deputies placed stop-sticks on the expressway near Dorr Road.

The two men — ages 21 and 18 — were taken into custody and remain locked up, Coombs said, pending final warrants.

(James Mitchell can be reached at jmitchell@bewickpublications.com.)

Tags: