Shooting death ruled self-defense

By JAMES MITCHELL
Sunday Times Newspapers

LINCOLN PARK — A man responsible for the shooting death of a 33-year-old Detroit man June 1 was released from police custody Thursday.

Assistant Wayne County Prosecutor Maria Miller said the warrant seeking felony charges was denied after further investigation.

“It was determined that the person in question acted in lawful self-defense,” Miller said. “He reasonably believed that he was in danger of imminent death or serious bodily harm.”

The 27-year-old Westland man — whose name was not released by police — was arrested soon after the June 1 shooting in the 1200 block of Fort Street. Police responded to reports of a shooting about 3:45 p.m. and discovered Michael Jackson with multiple gunshot wounds.

Jackson was transported to Oakwood Hospital in Dearborn and pronounced dead soon after arrival.

According to police reports, witnesses identified the 27-year-old Westland man as the shooter. He was still at the scene and in possession of a Glock .40-caliber pistol, and taken into custody.

Witnesses told police that Jackson’s wife and the Westland man had been “involved in a verbal altercation at work.” The two worked together outside of Lincoln Park and had reportedly argued earlier that morning.

Police said Jackson had followed he Westland man to Park Plaza Apartments, where an argument in the parking lot ended with gunfire. Jackson was reportedly unarmed.

The man remained at the Lincoln Park jail while investigators sought a warrant for charges before being released.

(James Mitchell can be reached at jmitchell@bewickpublications.com.)