Police Blotter


Man arrested for drunken driving

A 43-year-old resident was arrested for operating while intoxicated following a traffic stop near the intersection of Outer Drive and Carlysle just after 2 a.m. May 6.

An officer on patrol in the area noticed a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica with a burnt out rear tail light traveling north on Outer Drive. The officer initiated a traffic stop and when contacting the driver detected a strong smell of alcohol coming from the vehicle. The man also had red, glassy eyes and his speech was slow and slurred.

The officer gave several field sobriety tests to the man, which were failed, before asking if he would submit to a preliminary breath test to gauge his blood alcohol content. The man consented and registered a blood alcohol content of .27 percent, which was more than three times the legal limit of .08 percent for operating a motor vehicle in Michigan.

The man was arrested, handcuffed, searched and secured in the patrol vehicle before being transported to the police department. He also was cited for the defective equipment on the vehicle.

The vehicle was towed from the scene and impounded.

Detroit man arrested for warrant
A 48-year-old Detroit man was arrested for an outstanding warrant following a traffic stop near the intersection of Ford Road and Horger at 8 p.m. May 7.

An officer on patrol in the area observed a Toyota Corola traveling west on Ford with an air freshener hanging from the rearview mirror obstructing the driver’s vision. The officer initiated a traffic stop and made contact with the driver, who presented a valid driver’s license and the proper paperwork for the vehicle.

A check of the man revealed that he was wanted for an outstanding warrant for retail fraud from Wayne County Circuit Court.

The man was arrested, handcuffed and searched before being transported to the police department.

The vehicle was towed from the scene and impounded.

Dearborn Heights
Vehicle broken into

A man called police just before 2 a.m. May 11 to report that a window had been broken on his vehicle in the 7100 block of Highview.

The man said his 2007 Ford Escape was last seen intact in the driveway about 11 p.m. when he fell asleep. After being awoken by his barking dog at 1 a.m. he looked out a window and saw that the front passenger window of the vehicle was shattered.

The man went to investigate and found broken glass in the driveway and inside the vehicle. The glove box and center console had both been opened and ransacked but the man was not sure if anything was missing because his daughter uses the vehicle.

Police checked the area but did not find anything of evidentiary value.

Robbery attempted at 7-Eleven
Police were dispatched at 1:20 a.m. May 11 to investigate a report of an attempted robbery at 7-Eleven, 5697 Pelham Road,.

A clerk at the store said a man had walked in and approached the counter asking for a carton of cigarettes. The clerk retrieved them and the man demanded all the money in the register. The clerk refused and hit the alarm button.

The man repeated his request for money but was again denied by the clerk. The man then turned around and walked out of the store and exited the parking lot on foot.

The clerk telephoned police and, after officers arrived, said the man didn’t show a weapon or indicate that he had one.

The man was described as a white male in his mid 20s with a skinny build and reddish-brown hair. He was wearing a long sleeve burgundy shirt covered with a white, unbuttoned shirt and blue jeans.

Surveillance footage inside the store was not immediately available, but the clerk said a copy of it would be given to police as soon as it was available.

Lincoln Park
House looted of cash, jewelry

A woman returned to her home in the 1400 block of Ferris to find her front door pried open and the theft of cash, jewelry and other valuables.

Police responded to the call at 10 p.m. May 10, and were told the woman had left at 10 a.m. and the home was secure. Investigators noted pry marks and damage to the front door and lock, and that several rooms had been ransacked.

The woman said a set of diamond earrings, a Samsung digital camera and an undisclosed amount of cash in an envelope were missing.

Police checked for evidence and are investigating.

Money reported stolen from home
Police are investigating the reported theft of cash that was taken from a bedroom closet, and looking for a vehicle that may be linked to the burglary.

A woman called police at 5:15 p.m. May 10, from a house in the 1600 block of Myron that she was watching for her grandmother. She said that sometime between 5 and 7 p.m. May 8, someone had taken an undisclosed amount of cash from a makeup case in a bedroom closet.

Neighbors told police that a car had been seen parked in the driveway during the reported times that the woman was away from the house. The vehicle description matched that of a former friend of the woman, and police are investigating.

Tools taken from storage box

Whoever stole more than $2,000 worth of tools and camping equipment from a storage container may have replaced the lock that was broken to gain entry, police said.

Police responded to a call at 7:30 a.m. May 8 from an apartment building in the 13000 block of Cambridge. A man reported that his storage container in the communal basement had been broken into, and a new clasp and lock put in place.

According to police reports, a key is needed to enter the basement room, but the lock had been covered by folded-up paper — likely by residents, who often disabled the lock while doing laundry, the man said.

The items were stolen from a wooden storage box that had been secured with a metal latch and lock. Police noted pry marks around the hinge and clasp; the man said the latch was new. The man said he’d last seen the items and container secured three days earlier.

Stolen items included tool sets, towing equipment, camping gear and other items with a total estimated value of $2,110. Police are investigating.

Police arrest drunken would-be intruder

Police responded to calls from a 74-year-old woman who reported a home invasion in progress in the 1900 block of Newman Drive.

The woman called police shortly after midnight May 9, and said a man was trying to enter her house, and that he’d already opened the screen door and was playing with the door handle.

Responding officers found a 20-year-old man leaning against the fence, and believed to be intoxicated. Police asked the man if he’d been drinking. “A lot,” the man said. He was disoriented and told police he didn’t know where he was.

The woman said he had been trying to enter the house for several minutes, even after she yelled at him through the door. She had never seen the man before, she told police.

The man was taken to the police station and cited for being a minor in possession of alcohol and disorderly conduct.

Teen injured at hospital site
A 17-year-old who’d trespassed on the grounds of the former Riverside Hospital was taken for treatment after injuring himself in the abandoned complex.

Police and fire responders were dispatched to the former Riverside Hospital on Truax Street at 12:40 a.m. Tuesday. The teen and two friends — ages 18 and 20 — had been walking around the building when he “pushed his hand through a piece of glass and seriously cut his wrist,” according to police reports.

The teenager was taken to Southshore Hospital for treatment of an arterial bleeding. The three were cited for trespassing.

(Compiled by James Mitchell and Bob Oliver.)