Police respond to armed robbery, then discover building fire

Sunday Times Newspapers

WYANDOTTE — While searching for a suspect vehicle in a robbery complaint, officers returning to the station discovered a local bar on fire Jan. 30.

Police responded to the initial call regarding a gun shot fired in the 4200 block of Quarry Road about 1 a.m. When they arrived, police said the rear window appeared to be shot out with numerous dents in the window frame that were consistent with a shotgun blast.

The resident said a man came to the apartment to sell him marijuana, but tried to take $200 from him instead. Police said the resident punched the man in the face several times and threw him out of the apartment.

After throwing the man out, the resident said he began receiving threatening phone calls and texts from two separate numbers.

A short time later, the resident said, he was standing in his bedroom when he heard a shotgun blast that shattered the bedroom window. He told police he ran outside, but did not see anyone or a vehicle in the area.

Police said there were three adults and a toddler in the apartment at the time of the shooting, but no one was hurt. Officers found a “plastic wad” which they believed came from the shotgun shell used in the shooting. Police said the wad was found directly under the window lying on the bed and taken as evidence.

A mutual friend of the resident and the suspected shooter said the man was at Southshore Hospital and was being treated for his injuries to his face. Police said no one matching the description of the man, injuries, or man’s potential names were being treated there.

The resident described the man as white, in his 20s or 30s, between 5 feet 7 inches and 5 feet 9 inches, and about 150 pounds. A neighbor said he heard the shot, looked out his window, and saw a black car leave the east side of the building onto Quarry Road.

He said the vehicle went north toward Fort Street, but could not provide a better description of the vehicle. Police searched for the vehicle on Quarry Road and Fort Street, but they did not find the vehicle.

While patrolling Fort Street, police said officers saw fire and smoke coming from Toni’s Place, 2997 Fort St., about 2 a.m. and radioed the Fire Department. Firefighters responded within five minutes, Fire Chief Jeffrey Carley said, and cleared the scene in about three hours.

The origin of the fire was said to begin in an office near the back of the building. There was no one inside the bar at the time of the fire and the cause of the fire has not been released. Investigators have begun collecting evidence and started a reconstruction of the incident.

(Gabriel Goodwin can be reached at ggoodwin@bewickpublications.com.)