Police Blotter

Allen Park
Man arrested after hiding under bush

Officers surveilling the Allen Park Motor Lodge, 14887 Southfield Road, noticed several vehicles pull into the motel then leave without checking in about 3 a.m. Jan. 22. Some occupants were seen walking to a room on the top floor of the motel before they left the premises.

One vehicle was seen leaving the the parking lot without yielding or stopping before entering traffic, police said, and did not use a turn signal. An officer conducted a traffic stop on the vehicle near a gas station in the 15500 block of Southfield Road, and contacted the driver. The officer ran the driver’s information through the Law Enforcement Information Network and found the man was questioned about narcotics before.

The officer said he asked the man about weapons, drug paraphernalia, and if he could search the vehicle. The driver consented to the vehicle search, police said, and immediately began running after getting out of the vehicle. The officer said he ordered the man to stop, but the man continued to run across Southfield Road toward a motel.

Assisting officers located the man hiding under a bush near train tracks north of the motel. He was arrested and processed for the traffic violations and resisting arrest. The vehicle was towed and impounded.

Man arrested for assault
Police received a call about 8 p.m. Jan. 26 for a domestic violence situation in progress in the 7600 block of Kolb Avenue. When officers arrived, they said they heard loud arguing through the closed front door. Officers knocked on the door, police said, but neither person inside the house would open the door.

A woman finally opened the door and told police her husband would not allow her to answer the door. Officers said they separated the couple and took their statements. The woman said they were arguing over his abuse toward her and it got heated, then he picked up a metal baking sheet and began to hit her in the face.

She said she was able to get away and lock herself into the back bedroom. The husband said the entire incident was only a verbal argument, but she hit herself in the face and caused the bruising on her face.

There was a large bruise on the right side of the woman’s face, police said, but she would not be photographed or write out a statement. Police said the woman wanted to press charges against the husband for assault. Officers arrested and processed the man for the assault. The metal baking sheet was taken as evidence.

Police travel to Detroit to arrest suspect

Police arrested a 28-year-old Detroit man for a warrant from the 19th District Court at his apartment in the 15000 block of Tireman just before 5 a.m. Jan. 24.

Officers received information about the warrant, which was for a breaking and entering charge, from the court and proceeded to the last known address on file for the man. Plain clothes officers knocked on the front door of the apartment and made contact with the man, who exited to a courtyard and was arrested by uniformed officers hidden at the scene without incident.

The man was handcuffed and searched before being transported to the Dearborn police department.

Man arrested for driving with suspended license, warrants
A 27-year-old man was arrested for driving with a suspended license and an outstanding warrant following a traffic stop near the intersection of Michigan Avenue and Miller at 10:30 a.m. Jan. 23.

An officer on patrol observed a 2003 Ford Taurus traveling west on Michigan from Wyoming with several air fresheners hanging from the rearview mirror causing a vision obstruction. The officer initiated a traffic stop and made contact with the lone occupant of the vehicle, who presented a Florida driver’s license.

A check of the driver showed that he was wanted on a warrant from the 59th District Court for operating while intoxicated and that his license had been suspended indefinitely by the state of Florida. The officer arrested the man for the warrant and searched both him and the vehicle, finding no contraband material.
The vehicle was towed from the scene.

The driver also was cited for no proof or insurance, no proof of registration and driving with obstructed vision.

Dearborn Heights
Home invaded

Officers were dispatched to investigate a report of a home invasion in the 25000 block of Pennie Road just before 7:30 p.m. Feb. 4.

The officers spoke to the victim, who said she had been away from the house at work between approximately 6 a.m. and 6:45 p.m. and upon returning discovered that the house had been rummaged through and that items were missing. She reported that dresser drawers were observed open in two bedrooms, couch cushions were thrown on the floor and several items were misplaced.

After a search of the residence the woman concluded that a pair of Nike tennis shoes, approximately $10 in change and a black Bersa Thunder .380 handgun had been stolen. The victim said the handgun belonged to her mother, who also lives in the house and was away at work all day.

Police searched and found a broken window with the screen displaced on the south side of the house. The victim said the window was not in that condition when she had left the residence.

The victim also stated that no one else had permission to enter the house.

Nothing of evidentiary value was found and no suspect information was available.

Vehicle stolen
A man exiting his house to go to work discovered that his vehicle had been stolen from the 24000 block of Eton Avenue sometime before 3:15 a.m. Feb. 3.

Police arrived at the house and spoke to the victim, who said he had parked his red 2011 Chrysler 200 in the driveway the previous night and that he was sure it was locked and secured.

The victim also said a spare key to the vehicle’s ignition was in the center console, but that the key was not visible to anyone looking in from the outside.

He said nothing of value was in the vehicle, just several items of clothing.

Officers searched the area where the vehicle had been parked but did not report finding any signs of forced entry.

The victim did not hear or see anything suspicious overnight.

Lincoln Park
Burglars take cash, jewelry

One or more thieves broke into a house in the 700 block of Cleophus Tuesday morning and left with more than $3,000 worth of cash and jewelry.

A man called police at 1:30 p.m. when he, his girlfriend and child returned from a doctor’s appointment and lunch to discover the house ransacked. Responding officers noted furniture that had been upended, and clothing and other items thrown around. Cash and jewelry had been taken from a cardboard box that was left behind in a bedroom closet.

Entry was likely gained through a side door, which had been pried open. Police noted the damage to the door and frame, collected evidence and are investigating.

Running SUV taken from drive
Police responded shortly before 7 a.m. Monday to a call from the 1800 block of Council Avenue, where a man who had started his vehicle to warm returned to see it being driven away.

The man told police he’d left his 2004 Ford Expedition running and went inside to retrieve some belongings. Exiting the home he saw the SUV head west on Council before turning north onto Dix.

The man said that when he had started the vehicle he saw the thief standing on the corner speaking with a man in an idling white Jeep.

Police entered the vehicle description into the Law Enforcement Information Network.

Attempted car theft

Police officers were called to the 100 block of Gale Boulevard about 8:20 a.m. Jan. 27 about someone who tried to steal a vehicle. The vehicle owner told police the vehicle was parked in front of his house three days prior and he went out to the car and unlocked it with the key fob.

The man heard a buzzer — the alert buzzer when the key is in the ignition and the door is open — when he entered the vehicle, police said, and saw the ignition column was damaged. Police searched the car and found the ignition lying on the floor and the driver’s door lock was damaged.

Man tips with marijuana, arrested for possession
A police officer saw a tow truck traveling west on Outer Drive and Stanley Avenue on a prohibited truck route and initiated a traffic stop about 4:40 p.m. Jan. 28. The officer said he noticed a burnt marijuana smell coming from the inside of the vehicle and questioned the driver.

The driver said he had a marijuana joint, but threw it out the window when he saw the officer. Police asked the man if there was anymore marijuana on him or in the car, and the driver said he had some in the left pocket of his coat.

He told police he was given the marijuana as a tip for dropping a vehicle off in Lincoln Park. The officer asked the man to exit the vehicle and secured a pill bottle that contained the marijuana. The driver’s information was run through the Law Enforcement Information Network, police said, which said the man’s license was suspended over an unpaid reinstatement fee.

The driver was transported to the police station. Police officers processed him for possessing marijuana and impounded the vehicle.

Phone, jacket stolen from bar

A woman told police her jacket and cell phone were taken from her table at Rocky’s Bar, 12850 Sibley Road, between 12:30 and 1:30 a.m. Jan. 30. She did not see who took the items, but said a group of men kept trying to buy her and her friends drinks.

Police said the woman was able to use a phone locator app to track the phone to the 15000 block of McGuire Street in Taylor, where her father went in an attempt to retrieve the phone. The father said a woman answered the door and told him she knew nothing about a stolen phone before telling the man to leave. He was suspicious of the situation because he never told the woman why he was there and could hear the audible siren given off by the phone.

A Riverview officer contacted the Taylor Police Department regarding the incident and they sent a marked patrol unit to the address. Taylor police officers said the occupants would not cooperate and denied knowledge of the phone in the house. The occupants denied officers access to the house, police said, and left the house. Riverview police said the woman was working to get a serial number for the phone, so the Detective’s Bureau could follow up.

Woman assaulted in bar
Police officers were called to J Dub’s Pub, 12850 Sibley Road, to meet a 58-year-old woman who said she was punched in the face. When officers arrived, police said, the woman was sitting in her car. She told police she was inside the bar with her son and walked by the sound booth, by herself, when someone punched her. She fell to the ground, she said, but did not see who hit her and others close by said they didn’t see who hit her either.

A bar employee told police an announcement was made about the incident and asked witnesses to step forward, but police said no one did. The bar did not have surveillance inside the bar, police said, and the woman said she did not have any altercations while she was inside the bar. There were no current suspects in the assault.

Concealed weapon license confiscated
A police officer sitting at Kennebec and Williamsburg saw a vehicle travelling west on Williamsburg run a stop sign then go north on Kennebec about 11:20 a.m. Jan. 25. The officer initiated a traffic stop on Kennebec and made contact with the driver.

A check into the Secretary of State and the Law Enforcement Information Network showed the driver had a concealed pistol license which was revoked, police said, and the card was confiscated. Police said the man was not carrying a weapon at the time of the traffic stop and the card was mailed to the Wayne County Gun Board for review.

The man was given a ticket for failing to stop at the stop sign and released on scene.

Plates stolen from medical vans

License plates were stolen from two of three vans used as medical transportation, according to police reports. Sometime between 10:30 p.m. Tuesday and 7 a.m. Wendesday, plates were stolen from the vehicles secured in a lot in the 13000 block of North Line Road.

Responding officers checked for evidence in the parking lot and entered the plate numbers into the Law Enforcement Information Network.

Tools taken from vehicle
Nearly $1,000 worth of tools were taken from a man’s company-owned vehicle that had been locked and secured in the 15000 block of Windermere.

Police responded shortly before 9 a.m. Feb. 1 to a man who said he’d parked in his driveway about 6 p.m. Jan. 31, and awoke to discover the break-in and theft of two drill kits.

Investigators noted the driver’s side lock had been punched out. Additional items were likely stolen and police checked for evidence.

Off-road vehicle stolen from trailer

Police are investigating the theft of a $25,000 Polaris off-road vehicle that was reported stolen from a locked trailer.

Police responded to the call from the vehicle owner, who said he’d last seen the vehicle Jan. 26. He had locked it that evening in a trailer, and Monday morning discovered the theft. The man told police that the locks had been cut and door left open. Also stolen was a Honda generator valued at $4,000 and two helmets.

Police noted the trailer damage and tire tracks that went south from the trailer through weeds and onto Vreeland Road.

Police collected evidence and a description of the vehicle, which was entered into the Law Enforcement Information Network.

Van, credit cards, tools stolen
A man discovered that his 2006 Ford Econoline panel van had been stolen from his driveway in the 3300 block of Greenview when his bank called the next morning to report credit card use he hadn’t authorized.

Police responded at 7:30 a.m. Jan. 20 to a man who said he’d parked the van the night before. In the morning he was told that his credit card had been denied for use at 3 a.m. at a Detroit gas station. The same card was used to buy $54 worth of food at 4 a.m. at a Lincoln Park McDonald’s.

The man discovered the missing van, inside of which had been his wallet, spare key and work tools. Investigators noted evidence and a description of the van, which was entered into the Law Enforcement Information Network.

Minor arrested for possession, resisting arrest

A fight between six people in the 1500 block of 17th Street was reported to police about 11:10 p.m. Jan. 24. As officers arrived, police said, an 18-year-old Wyandotte man began running west through yards and jumping over fences.

An officer advised other officers of the man’s direction and began to follow on foot. The officer said he lost sight of the man, but the fresh snow allowed him to track the man’s footprints west through an alley between 17th and 18th streets.

Police said another officer located the man running in the alley between 19th and 20th streets. The second officer said he drove north on 20th in an attempt to cut off the man at the end of the alley, but the man turned around and went into the backyard of a house in the 1400 block of 19th.

The second officer ordered the man to stop three separate times or he would be forced to use an elctroshock projectile to subdue him. The man refused to comply and the officer shot a projectile at the man, but it was ineffective due to his clothing.

The man continued running east along 19th until he ran into a tree in the backyard of a house. Police said officers were able to tackle the man to the ground, but the man continued to resist arrest.

The officers asked for the man’s compliance, police said, but were forced to drive the stun gun into the man’s side for about five seconds. The man allowed police to handcuff and take him into custody.

Police said the man became uncooperative at the station and would not respond to questions. The man also refused a search and police took the man to the ground so they could search him. Officers said they could smell intoxicants on the man’s breath, but could not give him a preliminary breath test because of his uncooperative behavior.

The man was processed for minor in possession, obstructing police and disorderly conduct.

Laptops, handheld games taken from home
A woman called police about 11 p.m. Feb. 1 after she returned home and found someone broke into her house. She told police she left her house about 9:50 p.m. and returned home to find footprints leading from the alley, over her fence and up to several windows of her house.

Police said the person gained entry into the house by cutting the screens of the woman’s bedroom and breaking a window. Two cabinets in the bedroom were opened, police said, but nothing appeared to be missing.

The woman said two handheld video game systems and two laptops were taken off the couch. Police started a K-9 track in the driveway and the K-9 proceeded east across 22nd Street. Police said the track continued east onto Antoine Street near a driveway in the 1100 block of 22nd Street.

The K-9 could not find another scent in the area and police believed the person got into a vehicle. There were no witnesses to the incident.

(Compiled by Gabriel Goodwin, James Mitchell and Bob Oliver.)