Teenager charged in November shooting death of 11-year-old

By BOB OLIVER
Times-Herald Newspapers

HEIGHTS — The Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office has brought charges against the teen accused of accidently shooting and killing an 11-year-old boy last year.

The identity of the 15-year-old boy has not been released because the defendant is a minor and is being charged as a juvenile.

Wayne County Assistant Prosecuting Attorney Communications Director Maria Miller said the 15-year-old has been charged with manslaughter — aimed weapon without malice — careless discharge of a firearm resulting in death and felony firearm.

A pretrial hearing is scheduled at 8:30 a.m. Feb. 10 in front of Juvenile Referee Raeigen Woods in Wayne County Circuit Court.

The shooting happened about 4:30 p.m. Nov. 24 in the 5600 block of Kingsbury when the boy reportedly was shot with a revolver by a 15-year-old.

After the shooting, the wounded child was taken to Children’s Hospital of Michigan in Detroit, where he was treated and initially listed in serious condition before dying two days later.

According to published reports, the teenager was playing with the weapon when it went off and struck the younger boy.

Both the 11-year-old’s father and his girlfriend were in the house at the time of the shooting, but neither was aware that the teenager had the handgun, which is believed to have been found in the teenager’s grandmother’s house.

The mother of the teenager dates the 11-year-old’s father and the wounded boy did not live at the Kingsbury residence, but stayed there periodically.

Detectives questioned and released the 15-year-old after the incident and and the information was sent to the Wayne County’s Prosecutor’s Office, but Miller said that no charges were announced until after the case information was thoroughly reviewed.

(Bob Oliver can be reached at boliver@bewickpublications.com.)