Suspect in Benihana shooting surrenders

Photo by Bob Oliver
Darrius Demarr Greene (left) listens to the charges against him as they are read by 19th District Court Judge William Hultgren (right) Dec. 10. Greene was arraigned on seven felony charges in connection with the Nov. 12 shooting inside Benihana, 18601 Hubbard Drive.

Times-Herald Newspapers

DEARBORN — The Detroit man accused of shooting another man inside the Benihana restaurant, 18601 Hubbard Drive, Nov. 12 is facing seven felonies for the incident.

Darrius Demarr Greene, 28, of Detroit, turned himself in to Harper Woods police about 8 p.m. Dec. 9. He was later transported to the Dearborn Police Department.

Greene was arraigned before 19th District Court Judge William Hultgren Dec. 10 on charges of assault with intent to murder, assault with intent to do great bodily harm less than murder, possession of a firearm by a felon, carrying a concealed weapon, discharging a firearm in or at a building, assault with a dangerous weapon and felony firearm.

The charges have penalties ranging from up to life in prison for the charge of assault with intent to murder to up to four years in prison for the charges of discharging a firearm in or at a building and assault with a dangerous weapon.

Greene also has prior convictions and is considered a habitual offender, which would mean enhanced penalties if found guilty, and is labeled as a violent offender, which would mean a mandatory minimum sentence of 25 years for a conviction on any of the charges.

Bond was set by Hultgren at $1 million cash or surety with a GPS tether upon release.

Greene will next appear in 19th District Court for a preliminary examination of the evidence against him at 9 a.m. Friday before Judge Mark Somers.

Police said the incident occurred about 9 p.m., when Greene and victim began to argue and physically fight inside the restaurant. Greene pulled out a weapon and shot the victim before fleeing.

The victim, a 43-year-old Ann Arbor resident, was shot in the abdomen and taken to a local hospital where he was initially listed in stable condition.

According to a press release issued by Dearborn police, the preliminary investigation indicated that the shooting was not a random act and that the parties involved had been acquainted in the past.

Police Chief Ronald Haddad said the department and its partners for their effort in capturing the suspect.

“Greene made the right choice and decided to turn himself realizing his capture was imminent,” Haddad said. “I would like to thank our regional partners, the U.S. marshals for their collaborative efforts in attempting to locate Greene who had fled the state shortly after the incident.”

Greene was previously convicted in 2008 for receiving and concealing stolen property and third degree fleeing a police officer.

(Bob Oliver can be reached at