ACCESS killer sentenced to 30 to 60 years

Times-Herald Newspapers

DEARBORN – Kelly Michael Brady was free for 22 years after killing an employee at the Arab Community Center for Economic and Social Services on the city’s east side in 1991. Now he will spend at least that much time behind bars.

Brady, 45, was sentenced by Wayne County Circuit Court Judge Gregory Bill on Wednesday to serve 30 to 60 years in the Michigan Department of Corrections for the crime.

According to published reports, attorney Maria Mannarino, who was appointed to represent Brady by the court, filed a notice of appeal following the sentence.

Brady pled guilty Nov. 18 to one count of second-degree murder before Bill for his role in the killing of Graciela Flores in July 1991.

Flores, 62, was a night custodian at ACCESS, 2651 Saulino Court, who also lived in Dearborn. On July 12, 1991, her body was discovered by firefighters responding to a series of small fires in the building about 11:20 p.m.

An investigation was conducted by the Dearborn Police Department immediately, but the case went cold until last year.

In May 2012, Dearborn police received information from the St. Lucie County Sheriff’s Department in Florida regarding a person of interest in the case.

Brady called the Sheriff’s Department and said he wanted to confess to a crime. At the station, Brady spoke to two detectives and said he killed Flores.

According to a published report, Brady told Florida police that he was drunk on that evening and entered the unlocked ACCESS building after he saw lights on inside, struck Flores on the head with a fire extinguisher, sexually assaulted her with a nameplate from a nearby desk and stole candy and money from a vending machine.

After conferring with investigators in Florida, Dearborn police investigators received enough information to forward a criminal complaint against Brady to the Wayne County prosecutor’s office, which subsequently approved the murder charges.

Brady initially had been charged with one count of first-degree murder and two counts of felony murder before accepting the plea bargain. The first-degree murder charge was punishable by life in prison without parole.

In a press release issued by the Dearborn Police Department after the guilty plea, Police Chief Ronald Haddad said he was confident that justice had been served.

(Bob Oliver can be reached at