Man pleads guilty in 1991 ACCESS killing

Times-Herald Newspapers

DEARBORN – After 22 years, a cold case involving the murder of an Arab Community Center for Economic and Social Services employee can be closed.

Kelly Michael Brady, 45, pled guilty Nov. 18 to one count of second-degree murder before Wayne County Circuit Court Judge Gregory Bill for his role in the July 1991 killing of Graciela Flores.

Brady will be sentenced by Bill at 9 a.m. Dec. 4. The penalty for second-degree murder is a prison sentence of 30 to 60 years.

Flores, 62, who also lived in Dearborn, was a night custodian at ACCESS, 2651 Saulino Court,. On July 12, 1991, her body was discovered by firefighters responding to a series of small fires in the ACCESS building about 11:20 p.m.

An investigation was conducted by Dearborn police immediately, but the case went cold until last year.

In May 2012, Dearborn police received information from the St. Lucie County Sheriff’s Department in Florida regarding a person of interest in the case.

Brady had called the Sheriff’s Department and said he wanted to confess to a crime. At the station, Brady spoke to two detectives and said he killed Flores.

According to a published report, Brady told Florida police that he was drunk on that evening and entered the unlocked ACCESS building after he saw lights on inside, struck Flores on the head with a fire extinguisher, sexually assaulted her with a nameplate from a nearby desk and stole candy and money from a vending machine.

After conferring with investigators in Florida, Dearborn police investigators received enough information to forward a criminal complaint against Brady to the Wayne County prosecutor’s office, which subsequently approved the murder charges.

Brady initially was charged with one count of first-degree murder and two counts of felony murder before accepting the plea bargain. The first-degree murder charge was punishable by life in prison without parole.

In a press release issued by the Dearborn police after the guilty plea, Police Chief Ronald Haddad said he was confident justice had been served.

(Bob Oliver can be reached at