Heights man flees police, subdued twice

Sunday Times Newspapers

WYANDOTTE — A 30-year-old Dearborn Heights man was arrested after an attempt to elude police about midnight Oct. 27.

During a patrol on Biddle Avenue, police said they observed a vehicle stopped at a traffic light at Biddle and Ford avenues that sat through most of the green light. The vehicle pulled away from the light and continued north on Biddle, police said, and began to swerve between the left and right lanes.

A check into the Law Enforcement Information Network revealed the owner had a suspended driver’s license and police attempted to initiate a traffic stop, but the vehicle did not stop for another block and a half.

Police identified the driver of the vehicle and said he appeared to be intoxicated. They noticed a smell of alcohol coming from the vehicle and the driver told police he had been drinking that night. As police began to confirm the driver was the owner of the vehicle, they said he began to run across Biddle Avenue and was almost struck by two vehicles.

Officers began to chase the man and gave several commands to stop. He continued running and attempted to enter through a locked gate in the 100 block of Bondie. Police said the man did not gain access to the property and turned aggressively toward the officers.

He was ordered to the ground three times, police said, but did not comply and officers warned him they would use their stun gun if he did not comply. The man continued to refuse the officers’ warnings, and police said the officer electronically subdue the man.

The man was unaffected by the first attempt him, police said, and officers had to tackle the man and wrestle with him once he was on the ground. He continuously resisted, police said, but officers were able to handcuff the man and place him into a patrol vehicle.

As other assisting officers arrived, the man shouted “Don’t slam my head into the door,” and threw himself to the ground. Police said the closest officer was attempting to open the car door when the man fell backward to the ground.

He continued to resist officers as they picked him up and an officer had to subdue the man, in the leg, with a stun gun to get him to comply and enter the vehicle.

The man was transported to the station to be processed, when police said he began to act like he was unconscious and refused to move or speak. Paramedics were called to evaluate the man’s condition and cleared him for the booking process. Police said he was placed in a cell and continued not to cooperate.

Police executed a search warrant for a blood draw – to check for the man’s blood alcohol content and any other substances that might have been present in his system — and an officer attempted to read him his chemical test rights, but the man was said to remain uncooperative.

An ambulance was called to transport the man to the hospital for the proper tests. He continued to ignore commands made toward him, until the medical staff advised him they would have to do additional tests since he was not cooperating. At that time, police said the man became upset and began yelling that police used a stun gun on him, and that he had asthma, diabetes, and a heart condition.

The hospital staff took his blood about 3 a.m. and began to run tests that all came back negative, police said, and confirmed the man did not have diabetes. He was cleared and transported back to the station, where he was booked, fingerprinted and photographed. During the process, police said the man began to apologize for his behavior and blamed his actions on alcohol.

He was subsequently charged with a third drunken driving offense, resisting arrest, disorderly conduct, and driving on a suspended license. LEIN informed police his license was denied and revoked for previous drunken driving offenses and an outstanding driver’s responsibility fee.

(Gabriel Goodwin can be reached at ggoodwin@bewickpublications.com.)