Police make arrests in three incidents

Times-Herald Newspapers

DEARBORN — Police made three arrests in a span of about 28 hours that pulled two robbery suspects off the street and returned a golden chalice to a local church.

The first incident occurred around 6:45 p.m. July 20, when police officers responded to CVS/pharmacy, 23115 Michigan Ave., on a report of a woman assaulting store employees after stealing merchandise.

According to the police report, Shelby Dudek, 23, of Dearborn Heights attempted to leave the store with $400 worth of razors, baby formula and various other items. A store employee try to stop her from leaving the store and was assaulted.

Dudek was arrested and arraigned by 19th District Court Judge Sam Salamey on July 22 on the charge of unarmed robbery. The bond was set at $5,000.

The second incident occurred at Dollar General, 7630 Wyoming, around 8:30 p.m. July 21. A robbery was reported to police, who arrived and learned from employees that a man had entered the store, selected a candy bar and demanded all of the money in the register.

Employees also told police that the man said he had a gun and would open fire if his demands were not met. He then fled the store.

Police located the man running away from the scene and apprehended him. He was identified as Donald Johnson, 53, of Detroit. He was arraigned on July 23 by Salamey. Bond was set at $25,000 cash.

The third incident also occurred on July 21, with an intoxicated man being approached by a police officer at a gas station near Michigan Avenue and Mason Street around 10:30 p.m.

The officer observed the man and became suspicious as he approached customers at their gas pumps. He then investigated the man and discovered that he was in possession of a golden communion chalice. The officer then detained the man, identified as Devin Labuda, 21, of Dearborn.

The officer was able to determine that Labuda had entered the unlocked First Baptist Church, 1865 Nowlin St., and removed the chalice. The pastor of the church was notified and the chalice was returned.

Labuda was charged with unlawful entry and arraigned by Salamey on July 22. Bond was set at $200 cash.

Police Chief Ronald Haddad commended all of the officers for their work in the cases.

(Bob Oliver can be reached at boliver@bewickpublications.com.)