Cop pleads no contest to drunken driving

Times-Herald Newspapers

DEARBORN — The Dearborn police officer arrested in April for suspicion of operating under the influence and fleeing the scene of an accident has changed his not guilty pleas and awaits sentencing.

Dearborn Police Officer Eric Krawczyk appeared before 19th District Court Judge Sam Salamey July 10 for a third pretrial on charges of operating with a high-blood alcohol content, fleeing the scene of an accident and driving without auto insurance.

At the pretrial, Krawczyk changed his plea to no contest on the charge of driving with a high-blood alcohol content. He also plead guilty to leaving the scene of an accident and responsible to the charge of driving without insurance.

Police Officers Association of Michigan attorney Martha Champine, who is representing Krawczyk, said the no contest plea was due to civil liability issues.

City Prosecuting Attorney Nicole Tabin told Salamey she had no objection to the plea changes.

Tabin also told Salamey that Krawczyk did not remember the details of the incident due to the level of intoxication. Salamey asked Krawczyk if he could remember any details about the incident, to which the defendant said that he could not.

A sentencing date of 1 p.m. Aug. 13 was set for Krawczyk. That will also be before Salamey, who said that he will use the information included in the police report when considering the sentencing.

The charges stem from incidents that occurred about 12:30 a.m. April 20, when, according to published reports, police responded to calls that a black Ford Taurus struck a tree near the area of Carlysle and Northhampton Court and continued driving north on Audette after the collision.

A witness told police he observed the car striking a tree at the intersection of Carlysle and Culver. The vehicle then pulled back onto the road and drove onto Audette heading north. The witness followed the Taurus and saw it strike another vehicle near Village Road.

After this, the witness said the Taurus turned onto Donaldson, where it struck another vehicle before stopping.

When police arrived the vehicle was not moving, but the driver was still inside. They observed heavy damage to the front passenger side of the Taurus and noted that the car’s air bags were deployed.

Krawczyk handed the officers his police identification and exited his car when asked. Officers observed that he was having difficulty standing and his eyes were glassy.

Reports also stated that Krawczyk failed a preliminary breath test at the scene. He was arrested and transported to Oakwood Hospital and Medical Center.

Krawczyk currently is suspended from the DPD.

(Bob Oliver can be reached at