Woman, 62, dies in house fire

LINCOLN PARK – A house fire claimed the life of a 62-year-old woman believed to have been smoking while an oxygen tank was in use.

Lincoln Park Police and Fire responded at about 5 p.m. Tuesday to a house fire in the 900 block of Buckingham. Police entered the house and discovered the deceased woman, whose husband was taken to Wyandotte Hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation. The names were withheld pending notification of relatives and conclusion of the investigation.

The woman’s son told police that she was on oxygen but would occasionally sneak cigarettes.

The fire was first identified by three baseball coaches who were on a ball field across from the house. They saw the woman’s husband arrive home at 4:45 p.m., and quickly run out yelling for help. The man kept looking inside the smoke-filled house but said he couldn’t find his wife. The three men helped search the home and soon found the woman, believed to be deceased by then.

– James Mitchell