Snow day leads to kitchen fire

WYANDOTTE – A snow day turned dangerous Wednesday for a mother and her children when their house in the 1700 block of Elm caught fire.

Wyandotte Fire Chief Jeff Carley said the fire was caused that afternoon when a mother left food on the stove unattended while cooking lunch for her children, home while local schools were closed for a snow day.

“Fortunately, everyone in the home escaped without injury,” Carley said. “But it caused significant damage.”

Damage to the house and its contents is estimated about $35,000.

Carley warns everyone to use caution when cooking and not to leave anything unattended on the stove.

For more cooking safety tips, see Page 7-A.

— Andrea Poteet

Tags: