Police Blotter

Allen Park
Man bitten during fight

A man was bitten during a fight at an apartment complex after he allegedly attempted to restrain a man he believed was involved in a destruction of property complaint that had just been reported to Allen Park police.

About 1 a.m. Dec. 22, officers responded to the complex in the 6000 block of Arno and saw two men on the ground fighting. They separated the men and one told them he had seen the suspect, a 28-year-old resident, in the complex and recognized him as the suspect from an earlier destruction of property complaint, the details of which were not available.

He told him the police were on their way and they began to argue and the suspect walked away. The victim then grabbed his sleeve and told him he needed to wait for the police. He said the suspect then threw him to the ground and climbed on top of him, biting him in the right arm until the victim’s son pulled him off.

Officers photographed the victim’s right forearm, where a deep bite mark was visible.

The suspect appeared to be highly intoxicated, according to the report, and declined to answer any questions regarding the fight or the destruction of property complaint. He was arrested for assault and disorderly conduct.

Lottery case looted
A man stole a display case containing an unknown amount of lottery tickets from Party Shopp, 52344 Allen Road about 11 a.m. Dec. 29.

The clerk told police that he was helping other customers when the man, described as possibly being of Arabic decent 5 feet 8 inches to 5 feet 10 inches tall with black hair and a black beard and wearing a dark-colored hoodie and camouflaged pants, entered the store and began looking at the lottery ticket display case. He said the man suddenly grabbed the case and ran for the exit. A customer in the store followed the man driving a 2000 Dodge but lost the vehicle on Southfield Road near Dix.

The case held eight kinds of scratch-off lottery tickets, but the store owner could only remember five types. He called the Michigan Lottery hotline and cancelled three types, for which he had the game identification numbers. The owner did not know exactly how many tickets were stolen.

Window used for burglary
An unlocked side window was apparently used by a thief who entered a house in the 9600 block of Manor Avenue and stole five televisions and a safe containing jewelry and coins.

The homeowner said he left the house to go to work about 6 p.m. Dec. 29 and when he returned about 4 a.m. the next day, found the items missing and his bedrooms rummaged through.

No prints were found but officers believe the intruder entered through the unlocked window and exited through the back door.

Grandson assaults wheelchair-bound grandmother
A disabled woman reported to officers Dec. 28 that her grandson went to her apartment in the 11500 block of Fordline, assaulted her and stole $200 from her son’s room.

The woman, who uses a wheelchair, said that about 7:30 p.m. that day, her estranged 18-year-old grandson, began knocking on her door. She told him to go away and he told her he was sorry and he loved her and to let him in. She opened the door and started to get up from the wheelchair to give him a hug, when he allegedly pushed her to the ground before going to his father’s room and and taking two buckets filled with $200 in change and bills.

She said the grandson was wearing a backpack when he left and a list of stolen items was being compiled.

Vacation leads to break-in
A family returned to their house in the 9600 block of Chatham Avenue Dec. 30 after a six-day holiday vacation to find their house ransacked and items stolen.

Officers observed that every room in the house appeared to be ransacked and entry was apparently gained through the rear bedroom window. Three partial fingerprints were on the bottom of the window.

Missing was a wedding ring valued at $7,000, designer athletic shoes valued at $100, several old coins and various pieces of jewelry.

Jewelry stolen from apartment

A woman called police after she found jewelry stolen from her apartment in the 5000 block of Heather Drive about 5 p.m. Dec. 19. The woman told the reporting officer that she left for work about 10:30 a.m. that day and when she returned home about 4:45 p.m., she saw her patio door open and its glass shattered.

When she entered her bedroom she saw one of the pillows and a pillow case missing from her bed, and her dresser drawer opened with three gold necklaces and two gold earrings missing. She told the officer that she checked the rest of the apartment and did not notice anything else missing.

She told the officer that on Dec. 18 she saw a man walking past the rear of her apartment looking toward her patio; She believed the man, described as black, did not belong inside the apartment complex but she did not call the police.

Purse taken from shopping cart
A woman’s purse was taken from a shopping cart about 7 p.m. Dec. 22 at Big Lots, 5600 Mercury Drive, while she placed her children in her vehicle.

The woman told police that she left her purse in the cart just outside the store, then walked her children to her vehicle. She drove back to the shopping cart to find her purse gone.

She told police her gray handbag contained her purple and brown wallet, driver’s license, two Social Security cards and other identification cards; she said she did not see anything suspicious before the theft.

Dearborn Heights
Lottery tickets stolen

A man stole six lottery tickets about 10 p.m. Dec. 25 from a Shell Gas Station, 5624 N. Telegraph Road.

The attendant told reporting officers that the thief, described as in his early 20s and Middle Eastern, walked into the store and asked for six lottery tickets.

When the attendant retrieved the tickets and placed them on the counter the man requested another ticket and when the attendant turned his back the man removed the tickets and fled. The attendant believed that the thief left in an older gray Chevrolet Blazer, which possibly headed west on Ford. The attendant attempted to contact a lottery office to cancel the tickets.

Possible pot found near trash bin
When a Michigan Mobile Glass & Trim employee arrived at work, 26015 W. Warren Road, he discovered that someone dumped several bags of trash at the rear part of the building near the commercial trash recepticle about 8 a.m. Dec. 26.

One of the trash bags allegedly contained about 10 pounds of marijuana, which could have been dumped from 5 p.m. Dec. 21 to 8 a.m. Dec. 26.

The reporting officer placed the suspected marijuana into a police evidence locker for further investigation. No motives or suspects have been reported.

Lincoln Park
Grandma’s gift a fake

Police were the bearers of bad news for a young man who wanted to spend a Christmas gift from his grandmother: The $100 bill he received turned out to be counterfeit.

Police responded to Mobil gas station, 4140 Fort St., about 10:30 p.m. Dec. 30. The man had requested change for the currency, which tested positive as a counterfeit bill.

Responding police tested the bill three times with separate markers, each test indicating the bill was a fake. Police secured the bill as evidence.

Running vehicle taken from street
A woman told police she’d left her 2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser running to warm up Monday morning; a few minutes later she heard the car driving off.

Police responded to the 800 block of Liberty Avenue shortly after 7 a.m. The woman told police that the only key to the car was in the ignition, and that she’d left it running briefly before leaving home. The car, valued at $5,000, was parked in the street on the west side of the house.

A description of the vehicle was entered into the Law Enforcement Information Network.

Chase ends in fatal crash

A 42-year-old Romulus man died after taking police on a high-speed chase that ended in Taylor late Dec. 29.

Adam Orlando-James Carlisle died and three others, including two police officers, were injured.

Romulus police initially pulled Carlisle over on suspicion of drunken driving near Inkster and Wick roads. Carlisle slowed to a stop at the side of the road, but then drove away as the officer approached his vehicle on foot. He then sped south on Inkster, ran through a red light at North Line Road and rear-ended a vehicle. Carlisle lost control of his car, crossed the center line a half mile south of North Line Road and struck a Romulus patrol car that was driving to the area to offer assistance.

Carlisle was pronounced dead at the scene and initial findings indicate that alcohol was a factor.

Two Romulus police officers were injured along with a woman driving the first vehicle struck by Carlisle. The three victims were taken to a hospital for treatment. The injuries were reportedly not life threatening.

Driver arrested after three suspensions

A motorist ended Christmas in custody after being detained by police and found to be driving with a license subjected to three recent suspensions.

A patrol car near Grange and West roads observed the suspect’s blue Chevrolet HHR wagon speeding at nearly 40 mph through a 25 mph zone shortly before 11 p.m.. A traffic stop was made at Middlefield Road, where the officer observed a paper plate in the window.

The suspect driver provided his name, and the officer confirmed with dispatchers that his operator’s license was under three current suspensions and had been subject to eight prior suspensions.

The subject was arrested, taken to the police station and processed. He was released pending a warrant.

Guitars missing during hospital stay

A son checking his father’s house in the 18300 block of Ray found three guitars valued at $9,000 together missing Dec. 22.

The man said he is checking on the house while his father is a patient at Henry Ford Wyandotte Hospital. He was last at the house two days prior and remembers leaving all doors and windows locked.

There were no signs of forced entry and nothing appeared to be out of place. The man suspects two neighborhood teens who had been hanging around his father, but does not know how they could have gotten into the house.

Vehicle vandalized
The owner of a 2012 Cadillac reported about 9 a.m. Dec. 28 that her vehicle, which she parked in the driveway of her house in the 15000 block of Carrol Drive the night prior, had been vandalized.

The driver’s side window had been broken out.

Trip leads to car theft

An out-of-town trip from Dec. 23 to 30 led to the theft of a 2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer for a resident of the 4000 block of Quarry.

The owner did not notice whether the vehicle was parked on the street upon returning from the trip Dec. 30, but the next morning realized it was gone.

Car missing during warm-up
A five-minute window was enough for thieves to get away with a 2012 Mercury Mariner left running to warm up in the 400 block of Kings Highway Dec. 31.

About 7 a.m. that day, the owner reported leaving the vehicle running in the driveway and finding it missing five minutes later.

Supply theft leads to arrest
A 24-year-old Taylor woman was arrested Dec. 29 after allegedly stealing supplies from Wyandotte Henry Ford Hospital.

When officers arrived there about 3 p.m. that day, they saw the woman sitting on a bench and clutching a purse and a large plastic bag later found to contain washcloths, slippers, rubber gloves, hospital gowns, sheets, and various other hospital supplies taken from the hospital’s supply room.

According to the report, the woman told police, “I didn’t steal it, it’s mine.” She was asked to stand up several times and declined until an officer pulled out his Taser and told her he would deploy it if she did not stand up.

She complied, the bag with the items was returned to hospital staff, and the woman was arrested for larceny.

(Compiled by Sherri Kolade, James Mitchell and Andrea Poteet.)