Ex-con given probation in assault

By JAMES MITCHELL
Sunday Times Newspapers

TRENTON — An ex convict who admitted to home invasion and the assault of an 82-year-old woman faced a potential 20-year sentence and was instead granted probation.

Edward Lee Lewis, 58, pleaded guilty last month to charges of first-degree home invasion and assault. In July 2012 Lewis entered the home of an elderly woman in the 2200 block of Greenwood Street, confronted the home owner demanding money, and struck and shoved the woman en route to taking $40 from her purse.

Lewis was sentenced on Dec. 21 by Wayne County Circuit Court Judge Richard M. Skutt to two years on probation and to pay $866 in court costs.

The woman was an acquaintance of Lewis who was said to have helped him after his most recent release from prison. Lewis was incarcerated from 1987 to 2011 for second-degree murder, and previously spent nine years in prison for unarmed robbery.

Wayne County Assistant Prosecutor Maria Miller said the victim supported the sentence.

Tags: