House fire destroys Christmas presents

By ANDREA POTEET
Sunday Times Newspapers

WYANDOTTE – A house fire in the 100 block of Goddard Dec. 21 ruined most of the family’s Christmas presents and clothing, Fire Chief Jeff Carley said.

“There’s never a good time to have a fire,” he said. “But honestly this is the worst time.”

Carley said the department responded about 6 p.m. to the fire, which began in the basement. The children’s Christmas presents were hidden there and many sustained smoke damage, he said.

“They didn’t burn up in the fire,” Carley said. “Most of what burned up in the fire was clothing and other basement stuff.”

The residents — a mother and her three children ages 8 months to 10 — were home at the time and called 911 after finding smoke in the basement. The children’s father, who also lives at the house, had just left for work. Carley said all were cleared from the house and none suffered any injuries.

Most of the damage in the house was confined to the basement, Carley said.

“It’s gonna take a lot to clean up, but … they should be able to rebuild and move in there shortly,” Carley said.

Neighbors have rallied behind the family, dropping off clothes and replacement presents. Neighbors Gary and Mary Cioccio, 119 Goddard, are using their house as a drop-off site for donations for the family.

Needed are: girls’ clothes size 9 to 12 months as well as winter hats, coats and blankets for a child that size; girls’ clothes size 6 or 6x; girls’ boots size 13; boys’ size 8 clothes; and boys’ winter boots size 3.

The parents, who only have the clothing they were wearing, need men’s size 34×34 pants and XL shirts. The mother wears women’s sizes 10 or 12.

Tags: