Police Blotter

Allen Park
Chase leads to arrest

A police chase ended with the arrest of a 24-year-old Allen Park man Dec. 15.

According to the report, officers attempted to stop the man’s 2003 Ford Taurus for an expired license plate on northbound M-39 near Quandt.

The car pulled north onto Quandt and slowed down to about 5 mph, then sped up to speeds near 55 mph in a 25 mph zone, failing to stop at six stop signs before coming to a stop at Quandt and Connor.

He exited the vehicle and ran north on Quandt and officers pursued on foot, yelling for the man to stop. He continued running and a witness grabbed his arm attempting to stop him. He freed himself of the grasp and ran east on Keppen until he stepped over a curb and fell.

He was arrested and told police he was running from them because he did not have a valid driver’s license. A records check revealed he had never acquired a driver’s license and had a misdemeanor warrant from the Michigan State Police.

According to the report, the man smelled of burnt marijuana, but none was found in his car or on his person.

Fight alleged at college
A student at Stautzenberger Institute, 16630 North M-39, reported to police about 12:30 p.m. Tuesday that she had been assaulted while in class two weeks prior.

She said she was in a lab class when her cell phone rang. Another student allegedly told her she would slap her if it rang again. The woman said she responded by saying that she would punch her in the face if she were slapped.

Both women went to leave the room, and the alleged victim said the other woman began arguing with her and “came at” her, grabbing her around the neck. She said she responded by punching the alleged assailant in the face before school staff broke up the fight.

The woman reported suffering abrasions to the right side of her neck and front of her face, but none were visible at the time of the report.

Officers interviewed the school’s campus director, who said based on a school investigation, both women had broken school rules and were to be expelled from school.

The results of the investigation were to be turned over to police.

Stolen car may be cause of break-in
A stolen company vehicle in Detroit may have led to the break-in of an employee’s house in the 17200 block of Hamilton Dec. 16.

The homeowner called about 9:20 p.m. that day to say he had just returned home and found his house ransacked.

A service door from the attached garage was forced open and an empty black suit case that belonged to him was outside the back door. A fingerprint was found on a television and two laptop computers, $600 in cash, gold jewelry and a video game system were missing.

The man said a truck was stolen from his business in Detroit and used in a robbery nearby. The truck contained its registration and the man’s home address.

GPS unit taken from vehicle

After exiting PizzaPapalis Chicago Pizza, 22022 Michigan Ave., a man saw that someone stole his built-in Global Positioning System unit from his vehicle on Dec. 16.

The man reported to police that he parked and locked his vehicle, a 2008 Dodge Caravan, about 2:30 p.m. in the restaurant’s parking lot; when he left about 5 p.m. he noticed the theft and his vehicle’s driver’s-side door unlocked.

Vehicle rims, tires stolen
Someone stole a woman’s rims and tires from her 2012 Cadillac Escalade between midnight and 7 a.m. Dec. 16 in the 6400 block of Calhoun.

The victim told police that she parked the Escalade in her driveway and she last saw her vehicle – with the tires and rims intact – about midnight Dec. 16.

Nabber grabs purse
Someone stole a woman’s purse from her shopping cart between 2:30 and 3:30 p.m. Dec. 13 at Walmart Supercenter, 5851 Mercury Drive.

The victim reported the crime to police and later viewed the store’s closed circuit cameras, but could not find the suspect or the stolen purse.

Dearborn Heights
Thief takes copper from house

A man called police after he noticed copper piping missing from his house on Dec. 17.

The victim said that between 4 a.m. Dec. 15 and 7:20 a.m. Dec. 17, in the 6400 block of Heyden, someone kicked the house’s front door open and stole 30 feet of copper piping and fled. The homeowner said someone broke into his house two times in the last few weeks; the police report did not mention whether the break-ins were connected.

Thief takes air-conditioning unit
A man discovered his air-conditioning unit stolen about 7 a.m. Dec. 17 in the 5600 block of Dudley. The man reported to police that he last saw his air-conditioning unit, located on the north side of his house, at 11 p.m. Dec. 16.

Suspect allegedly steals merchandise
A suspected thief allegedly stole merchandise from Kroger, 26400 Ford Road, about 6:40 p.m. Dec. 12.

A Kroger employee on break noticed a suspicious driver in the parking lot and notified her co-worker about the customer who walked into the store, walked around and then left with a Kroger bag filled with unknown items; the police report did not mention whether the suspect stole the bagged items.

Lincoln Park
Car stolen from sleeping motorist

A 39-year-old man accompanied by his mother reported to police the theft of a 1999 gray Oldsmobile that was taken by force in a parking lot holdup.

The man told police he parked outside of Palace Party Store, 900 Fort St., shortly after 2 a.m. Dec. 13. He pulled into the lot, according to police reports, “because he had been drinking.” He then fell asleep.

The man said he woke up when he was being pulled from the vehicle by two black men, about six feet tall, who punched him several times and left in the Oldsmobile.

Police noted that the man had appeared to have been hit in the face recently. A description of the Oldsmobile was entered into the Law Enforcement Information Network.

Washing machine vandalized

A washing machine was discovered flipped over and a coin dispenser removed from it in an apartment complex in the 100 block of Gale Boulevard Tuesday.

Officers responded to the area about 12:30 p.m. that day after a man had called to say he saw the damage after hearing noise from the laundry room and seeing a black man wearing white pants and a black hoodie in the room. He asked what the man was doing and he left the room.

No fingerprints were found.

Window spray painted
A resident of an apartment building in the 24900 block of Outer Drive called about 4:15 p.m. Dec. 12 to report finding her front window vandalized.

She said she found graffiti there about 10 p.m. the night prior. The graffiti was in grayish-black spray paint and appeared to be the letters “S” and “W.”

Elderly couple robbed in home

Police are looking for two women who shoved their way into an elderly couple’s apartment and a man who stole a small safe from the home.

About 1 p.m. Dec. 15, an 80-year-old man and his 79-year-old wife answered a knock on the door. Two white women of undetermined age pushed the door further open and, according to police reports, “barged right in without permission.” The couple said they had never seen the women before.

The two women asked for information about the apartment and claimed they were considering moving into the building. They were asked to leave but instead stayed for about four or five minutes and were “very pushy” with their questions. The women asked if they could have some water and helped themselves to a drink.

A white man soon walked through the still-open door, and spoke with the women “in a foreign language” that was not identified.

The three finally left as requested after moving about the apartment; the man seemed to be carrying something beneath his jacket. After the three left the couple reported the theft of a small safe containing nearly $2,000 in cash and jewelry.

Police took note of suspect descriptions and collected evidence to include cups used by the women for a drink of water. Police are investigating.

Burglar breaks window, steals laptop, jewelry

Police responded to a call from a homeowner who returned to find a broken bedroom window and theft of a laptop computer and undisclosed amount of jewelry.

On Dec. 11 a man returned to his home in the 22000 block of Haig Avenue about 3 p.m. He told police that he locked and secured the home when he left at 7:15 a.m.

Police noted that several rooms had been ransacked, and the man said a laptop computer of unknown value was taken along with jewelry from the bedroom. Police observed a broken window that was the point of entry, collected evidence and are investigating.

Thief breaks into store
An alarm sounded at 5:30 a.m. Dec. 12 from Radio Shack, 7860 Telegraph, alerting police to a break-in at the store.
Responding officers found the back door had been pried open and left ajar. A key holder from the company arrived, and was expected to provide a complete list of stolen merchandise. Police collected evidence and are investigating.

Cement blocks foils Christmas thief

Someone damaged a holiday lawn display in the 1900 block of Oakwood Drive but was unable to steal the Christmas decorations that were chained to cement blocks buried in the ground.

A homeowner told police that shortly after 10 p.m. Dec. 16, two vehicles stopped in front of his lawn and attempted to steal seasonal decorations. A video recorded of the incident — during which several people damaged the decorations in an effort to steal them — and provided police with descriptions of a silver Ford Escape and Pontiac G6.

The two vehicles had what appeared to be at least eight children in them.

Police are reviewing evidence and investigating.

Backpack taken during Bingo

A woman who borrowed her friend’s 1997 Buick Le Saber to drive to Bingo at the Fraternal Order of Police Post 111, 1234 Biddle, said a witness saw someone steal a backpack from the car.

About 7:30 p.m. Dec. 14, the woman called to report the theft of a brown and black backpack from the car. She said a man who had also played Bingo that night told her he saw two unknown white men take the backpack from the unlocked car and flee before he could confront them.

The witness left before police arrived.

Bike taken from school
The parent of a student at Wilson Middle School said her son left his 2011 BMX black Haro bicycle at the school overnight Dec. 15 and when he returned, it was missing.

The bicycle was padlocked near the gym doors outside the school. The master lock was cut off. No evidence was found.

Police apply Taser to screaming man
A Taser was applied to a 32-year-old man after police twice responded to the 1700 block of Ninth on a report of the man screaming on the street Dec. 15.

Police first responded about 6 a.m. that morning and spoke to the man, who they said exhibited nervous and paranoid behavior and appeared to be on some kind of narcotic. They directed him back inside his house and he agreed not to return to the street.

Ten minutes later, they were dispatched to the same location on a report that the man had returned to the street and was again screaming in the middle of the road.

They found him on Alkali west of Electric where he was ordered to the ground. He ran south on Electric and officers chased them and tackled him. He would not put his hands behind his back and was warned that if he failed to do so, officers would apply a Taser. They did so and he was handcuffed.

He was arrested for disorderly person and obstructing justice.

Father, son tussle outside park
A father and his 14-year-old son allegedly got into a physical fight at a park about 3:30 p.m. Tuesday.

The son said his father punched him on the left side of his head during a fight at a park at Ninth and Vinewood while driving him home from school. He had a small amount of blood on his left ear lobe and scratches on the bottom of his left cheek. He said his father had also pushed his head into the passenger door during the ride.

The father said he and his wife have had disciplinary problems with the boy and he began arguing with him and acting defiantly. He said he pulled over, exited the car and asked his son if he wanted to fight. The two then began “wrestling” outside of the park. He said he took his belt off but did not strike the child with it. A witness corroborated his story and another said she saw the father swing at the boy but his hand did not make contact.

A records check showed the father’s license was suspended. His car was released to the boy’s mother and the man was cited for operating without a license and released.

(Compiled by Sherri Kolade, James Mitchell and Andrea Poteet.)