Jury acquits man accused of assaulting girl

By JAMES MITCHELL
Sunday Times Newspapers

TRENTON — A jury on Monday cleared Casey Brandon Griffor of all charges related to allegations that he sexually abused a girl under 13 years old.

Griffor was accused of two counts of criminal sexual conduct, one each first and second degree. The allegations were first aired in 33rd District Court following a January preliminary examination before Judge Michael McNally. Griffor was initially charged with four counts of sexual crimes; McNally dismissed two counts before sending the matter to circuit court.

Griffor was accused by a then 12-year-old girl to whom he’d become something of a father figure. Griffor was in a relationship with the girl’s mother, and testimony described Griffor helping the girl with homework and taking her brother fishing.

Allegations were made that the assaults took place over a nine-month period; according to testimony heard in February before McNally, the girl first complained to her mother after Griffor restricted the 12-year-old’s cell phone use.

Assistant Wayne County Prosecutor Maria Miller said the outcome was disappointing, but that the time and consideration of the judge and jurors was appreciated.

“In this case we presented evidence to the jury that Griffor had been sexually abusing an 11-year-old girl (when the incidents began),” Miller said. “We believe that the defendant should not have been acquitted.”

(James Mitchell can be reached at jmitchell@bewickpublications.com.)

Tags: