Employee comes to fire victim’s rescue

By ANDREA POTEET
Sunday Times Newspapers

WYANDOTTE – An afternoon house fire at 480 Cedar March 28 caused more than $45,000 in damages and left the house “a total loss,” Fire Chief Jeff Carley said, but the house’s lone occupant emerged unscathed with the help of a Municipal Services employee.

According to the police report, the worker saw smoke from the blaze about 2:15 p.m. that day and ran to the house to alert the sleeping homeowner.

“He saw the fire and he immediately called and was banging on the door (of the house),” Carley said. “About the same time, the homeowner realized the fire and made his way out. (The worker) put himself in harm’s way to make sure everyone was out of it.”

The homeowner’s wife was not home at the time of the fire, which Carley said began at the house’s back porch by unknown means.

“We’re not exactly sure how it started,” he said. “We have no evidence of arson but can’t figure out why.”

Firefighters responded about three minutes after the 2:14 p.m. call to the blaze along with Southgate Fire Department and four off-duty Wyandotte firefighters. Carley said the fire was extinguished about 5 p.m. that day and was especially tough to fight because of winds reaching up to 33 mph.

Tags: