Garage stove fire claims life, injures 2

By JAMES MITCHELL
Sunday Times Newspapers

TAYLOR — One man was killed and two others injured Tuesday by an explosion in a garage generated by gasoline poured onto a wood-burning stove.

Dustin McCloud, 20, was killed shortly after 8 p.m. when he attempted to light a garage stove in the 5900 block of McGuire Street. Two other Taylor residents in the garage with him, a 19-year-old woman and the 17-year-old brother of the deceased, were treated at Detroit Receiving Hospital, Taylor Police Cmdr. Mary Sclabassi said.

The woman reportedly received burns on 65 percent of her body, and both survivors remained hospitalized at press time.

Responders to the explosion included the Taylor Police and Fire departments, medical personnel from Healthlink, and firefighters from Dearborn Heights and Romulus.

The garage was used frequently by young people working on cars, and the Downriver Fire Investigation Task Force reportedly discovered evidence that both kerosene and high-octane racing fuel were stored there, which likely accelerated the blaze once ignited.

(James Mitchell can be reached at jmitchell@bewickpublications.com.)

Tags: