Exam delayed for rape suspect

By JAMES MITCHELL
Sunday Times Newspapers

TRENTON — A preliminary examination of charges facing a Trenton man accused of raping a girl under 13 years old was adjourned until Thursday by 33rd District Court Judge Michael McNally.

While allowing the request for more time to prepare as made by the defense attorney last week, McNally also reminded the defendant, 30-year-old Casey Branden Griffor, not to have any contact with the girl or her relatives. Reportedly, McNally was told that Griffor — who remained in custody at the Wayne County Jail — called the girl’s mother and told her not to be in court for last week’s scheduled hearing.

Assistant Prosecutor Kinga Gorzelewski objected to the adjournment, and reportedly claimed that Griffor attempted to communicate with the girl’s mother during last week’s appearance.

Griffor was charged last month with three counts of first-degree criminal sexual conduct, each count punishable by 25 years in prison, and one count of second-degree criminal sexual conduct, a 15-year felony. Griffor allegedly raped the underage Trenton girl several times over period of nine months.

Trenton Police Chief James Nardone said that Griffor turned himself over to officers on Jan. 15. The preliminary examination of evidence is scheduled for 1:30 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 9 in 33rd District Court. Griffor remained in custody, and had not posted a $300,000 cash bond.

Tags: