Juvenile in custody after high-speed chase

Sunday Times Newspapers

WYANDOTTE – A high-speed chase Tuesday morning led into Ecorse and to the eventual arrest of a 16-year-old River Rouge boy.

He was driving a white Dodge Stratus that had been reported missing from a house in the 1700 block of Eighth just before 8 a.m. that morning. The chase lasted about three minutes before the boy crashed into a building in Ecorse.

Upon receiving the tip about the stolen car, an officer spotted it driving in the area of Emmons and Sixth. When the boy saw the squad car, he drove over a curb at Sixth and Emmons and headed east on Emmons, traveling against traffic at speeds above 75 miles per hour in the westbound lanes.

The boy continued on Emmons, striking an eastbound vehicle, before turning north onto Jefferson at speeds of more than 80 miles per hour. The vehicle sustained minor damage and its driver was not injured.

He ran a red light and nearly struck another vehicle traveling north on Jefferson. At the corner of Westfield and Jefferson, the boy entered a snow-covered field and lost control of the car, striking a cinder block building at 4158 West Jefferson in Ecorse.

Police Chief Dan Grant said he does not know if anyone was in the building at the time, but no damage was done to it.

The boy then jumped out of the vehicle and ran west on foot through an alley, jumping several fences. He was apprehended by another officer later in the 4000 block of High in Ecorse and transported to the Wyandotte Police Department. A black case containing compact discs reported missing from another vehicle earlier in the day was found in the Stratus, which sustained damage to its front fender.

The owner said she had left it running and unlocked while it was warming up.

One witness spotted a grayish green Chevrolet pickup pull up next to one of the vehicles and a thin white man with long, shaggy hair get out of it. Grant said the man may have been an accomplice, but he has not been located.

“What they do is they drive around and look for cars that are running, and they usually have someone drop them off some of the time,” he said. “That’s probably who it was, but we don’t know who that person is yet.”