Bomb scare at middle school not a threat

By CHRIS JACKETT
Sunday Times Newspapers

ALLEN PARK – Students at Allen Park Middle School had to relocate early Friday morning out of concern that a bomb was in the building.

Supt. John Sturock said city police called Allen Park Public Schools officials about 7:15 a.m. with a tip from Dearborn Heights police that a man had been arrested Thursday night for making pipe bombs, and that the man had a map of the middle school in his home.

“The kids were just showing up and we went into lockdown,” Sturock said. “We evacuated the building and Michigan State Police came in.”

About 950 middle school students walked more than two blocks to Cabrini High School, while the state’s bomb squad searched the middle school.

“There was nothing there,” Sturock said, so the students were brought back about 10:30 a.m.

Sturock said Allen Park Public Safety Director Dean Tamsen called about noon to update him on the suspect.

“Dearborn Heights Police Department had a chance to talk with the person, and his intent had nothing to do with the school,” Sturock said.

He credited teachers, staff, police and all involved in providing a quick and safe evacuation of the students.

“If it had been something else, we have a plan in place, and it went smoothly,” Sturock said.

(Contact Chris Jackett at cjackett@bewickpublications.com)

Tags: