Police blotter

Valuable metals stolen from steelmaker
More than a ton of brass and copper was stolen from the second floor of SeverStal, 4001 Miller Road, sometime overnight Feb. 27.

A company employee called police when he noticed the metals missing in the morning. He told police that while the property is surrounded by a chain-link fence, the building itself was left unlocked.

He added that the company would be checking local scrap yards to see if the metal was turned in. The total value of the stolen metal is about $6,800.

Consumer electronics taken at motel
Several electronic devices were stolen from a 2004 Cadillac Escalade parked at America’s Best Value Inn, 13181 Michigan Ave., about 1 a.m. March 1.

The owner – who watched the theft from his room after hearing his alarm go off – reported seeing two heavyset men rummaging through the vehicle. When he yelled down to them, the suspects got into a red Dodge pickup truck and fled east through the alley. Police were unable to locate the vehicle after doing a survey of the area.

Taken were a digital camera, a digital video camera, a cell phone, a navigation system and a silver wedding ring.

Dearborn Heights
Couple wakes to wild attempted auto theft
A couple in the 25600 block of Oakland was awakened to the sound of their vehicles — a Ford Escape and Dodge Ram — violently smashing into each other in their driveway, about 5:15 a.m. March 5.

Police said the commotion was caused by a 37-year-old Plymouth man who was trying to steal the Ram and, in the process, attempted to ram the Escape out of the way.

But when the residents woke up and started screaming at the suspect, he fled on foot and then was apprehended by an off-duty police officer near Michigan Avenue and Gulley.

Both vehicles sustained significant damage from the incident and some power tools that were missing from inside the Ram.

Men assaulted in apparent ambush
A roadside attack left two men with minor injuries after they stopped their car near Annapolis and Lincoln Boulevard about noon March 6.

The men said they stopped to check for damage after an unknown object struck the unidentified car. When the driver got out, he said, a man punched him in the back of the head, which caused him to fall to the ground. Another man then kicked him in the back of the head.

Meanwhile, the passenger was on the phone with police when a third man came up and punched him in the head. All three suspects fled the area in a faded Ford Thunderbird, and both victims said they knew the men.