Mold may pose a problem for city hall

By SUE SUCHYTA
Sunday Times Newspapers

WYANDOTTE – A possible health risk from mold may exist in City Hall.

Officials are looking into a complaint from an unidentified complainant who alleged a problem with the ventilation system, indicating that mold or bacteria may be inside it.

They recently received a letter from the Michigan Occupational Safety and Health Administration, General Safety and Health Division, notifying officials of safety or health hazards at City Hall.

The Jan. 4 letter from division industrial hygienist Lynn Totsky posted in City Hall, says that some vents reportedly have a “black soot” material around them. The basement, which has leaks, also was identified as having mold on its west side.

Employees have documented sinus and allergy problems when working in city hall.

MIOSHA officials emphasized they had not determined whether a hazard existed. However, they did request that city officials investigate the concerns within 30 days of receipt of the letter.

Mayor Joseph Peterson said Monday that they were in the process of inspecting and understanding the nature of the situation and would speak about it publicly soon.

He said he did not know what inspectors had found in the building, and that they still were looking.

“They called somebody and they’re looking at the building,” Peterson said, “so the complaint was mold. I’m going to get a copy of the results. We’re doing whatever is required by MIOSHA right now.”

Tags: