Third-time drunken driver flees, resists, gets caught

ALLEN PARK – A 43-year-old Dearborn man faces felony and felony obstruction charges as a result of his third arrest Wednesday for operating a vehicle while intoxicated and attempting to flee and elude police.

Dennis Michele Reamer posted 10 percent of a $25,000 bond and is scheduled to appear in 24th District Court on Feb. 1.

Police arrested about 3 a.m. Wednesday at Outer Drive and the Southfield Freeway for operating a vehicle while intoxicated. He will be charged with a felony because the OWI arrest is his third and with felony obstruction because he also resisted arrest.

The man was driving a 1993 Ford Econoline van east on Outer Drive, east of Southfield when police saw him repeatedly drive over the right lane marker before swerving noticeably back into his lane. He then used the U-turn lane to go west on Outer Drive.

Police then pulled him over in the nearby Vitamin Shoppe parking lot and called for backup. They noticed the man smelled strongly of intoxicants, and his eyes were red and glassy.

The man told police he was unable to produce a driver’s license. He had no paperwork for the van, and said it belonged to someone else.

The man admitted to having had a few drinks and failed field sobriety tests. When asked to step out of his vehicle, however, he instead took off at a high rate of speed in the parking lot. Police pursued him with lights and sirens for about 200 yards before stopping him again.

After several requests, the man turned off the engine and threw his keys out the window. He then got out and turned toward the officers, but did not follow their directions to lie down on the ground.

One of the officers then used a stun gun on him in order to force him down, but he still refused to put his hands behind his back. He also fought with an officer for about 30 seconds. Another officer then stunned the man again, enabling him to be handcuffed.

Police then arrested him for operating a vehicle while intoxicated; fleeing and eluding; and resisting arrest. His vehicle was impounded.

The man twice refused a breath test and was transported to Midwest Health Center in Dearborn, where a nurse drew two vials of blood before he was taken to jail.